MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning apple slices

furbabymom

Does anyone can apple slices? I've always made apple pie filling and canned that (we use it as a waffle topping), but my recipe uses cornstarch, and I think I read somewhere on here that it is a no-no for water bath canning? Hasn't killed us yet, but I guess it could catch up with me someday...

So what I'm thinking is, I could can the apples in a light syrup with the spices I usually put in the pie filling, and then when we want to use them, I could just thicken them with cornstarch at that point.

Does that sound like a good plan? Any other suggestions? I've never seen or used the clear jell stuff and I don't have a pressure canner...

That sounds like a plan to me. I can sliced apples and apple rings in light syrup and if I make pies I just throw in the seasonings and cornstarch when I need to . Otherwise my kids just open a jar and snack on them like they would a can of peaches.

If your looking for a recipe of sorts it would have to wait till Company leaves late tomorrow. They are fixing to show up and I dont have the time to dig sorry.

I made alot of spiced apples when I canned all those apples last fall. Here's the recipe from the National Center for Home Food Preservation's site. I made this one but added some cinnamon to the syrup:

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_02/apple_sliced.html

Apples - Sliced

Quantity: An average of 19 pounds is needed per canner load of 7 quarts; an average of 12-1/4 pounds is needed per canner load of 9 pints. A bushel weighs 48 pounds and yields 16 to 19 quarts-an average of 2-3/4 pounds per quart.

Quality: Select apples that are juicy, crispy, and preferably both sweet and tart.

Please read Using Pressure Canners and Using Boiling Water Canners before beginning. If this is your first time canning, it is recommended that you read Principles of Home Canning.

Procedure: Wash, peel, and core apples. To prevent discoloration, slice apples into water containing ascorbic acid. Raw packs make poor quality products. Place drained slices in large saucepan and add 1 pint water or very light, light, or medium syrup per 5 pounds of sliced apples. Boil 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Fill jars with hot slices and hot syrup or water, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process.

Processing directions for canning sliced apples in a boiling-water, a dial, or a weighted-gauge canner are given in Table 1, Table 2, and Table 3.

Table 1. Recommended process time for Apples, sliced in a boiling-water canner. Process Time (for hot pints or quarts) at Altitudes of:

0 - 1,000 ft - 20 minutes

1,001 - 3,000 ft - 25 minutes

3,001 - 6,000 ft - 30 minutes

Above 6,000 - 35 minutes

Table 2. Process Times for Apples, sliced in a Dial-Gauge Pressure Canner (hot pints or quarts) - 8 minutes.

Canner Pressure (PSI) at Altitudes of:

0 - 2,000 ft - 6 PSI

2,001 - 4,000 ft - 7 PSI

4,001 - 6,000 ft - 8 PSI

6,001 - 8,000 ft - 9 PSI

Table 3. Process Times for Apples, sliced in a Weighted-Gauge Pressure Canner (hot pints or quarts) - 8 minutes.

Canner Pressure (PSI) at Altitudes of:

0 - 1,000 ft - 5 PSI

Above 1,000 ft - 10 PSI

Canned my apples today. That was the first time in about four years that I've canned - I'd forgotten how tiring it is! Took about six hours from start to finish (including an hour break in the middle while my jars went through the dishwasher - gotta get that timing thing down!).

Canningapples.jpg

I ended up with 13 quarts of apples and six half-pints of apple jelly. I forgot to spice the apples, but that's ok, I can do it later when we use them. They're in a light syrup. I could have had a lot more apple jelly, but I got tired and quite frankly I'm not sure we'd use it all! So, I'll have my six half-pints this year, and if I want more during the year then next year, I'll make more...

Originally Posted By: HappyCamper45
Can I have the recipe to make apple Jelly.....Can I use macs to make apple jelly?

I don't know about the macs, I have no idea what kind of apples grow on my tree but they're pretty tart!

To make the jelly, first I took the peels and cores (minus the stems, worms, bad spots, etc.) from the apples I cut up to can and simmered them in water for a couple of hours to make juice. Then I strained it through a jelly bag.

I used the recipe in the Certo (liquid pectin) box - 5 cups juice, 7 1/2 cups sugar, 1 pouch Certo.

Bring the juice to a boil, and then add the sugar. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Stir in pectin, return to a full rolling boil, and boil one minute, stirring constantly. Skim off foam (I didn't have any foam).

Ladel into jars, leaving 1/8 inch head space. Process 5 minutes in a boiling water bath.

First I tried to use the pectin-free recipe from the Ball Blue Book, but it never thickened after boiling for about 20 minutes, so I gave up and used the pectin instead.
  • 3 weeks later...

Im so sorry I haven't got back to you...

Thank you so much for the apple jelly recipe...I'm a little confused. When you cook the apples how much water are you putting in the pot...Do you cover the apples?

Your Jelly looks so good.

Im so sorry I haven't got back to you...

Thank you so much for the apple jelly recipe...I'm a little confused. When you cook the apples how much water are you putting in the pot...Do you cover the apples?

Your Jelly looks so good.

Archived