MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

recipe storage

How do you store your recipes? There are a bazillion recipes out there to try (and I have half of them) but, I want to keep only the really good ones in some sort of compact form. Nothing I've tried seems to work...they get scattered and lost. Mare's hot roll mix will be the first in the collection. (yum!)

Stacy

I have the same problem. I was using index cards but was all the time loosing them, or they would get messed up so I took and typed up the family's favorites and put them in sheet protectors and stored them in a 3 ring binder. I put pocket folders in the binder to add those that I cut out so they will not get lost before I had a chance to type them.

Its not the greatest system but this way I can add with little or no problem. I can also take out just one repice and clip it to the cabinet door just above my work space. They are protected from spills and such. So it is working for now.

I created a file on my computer.

If I find a recipe that I like, then I copy & paste it or type it into a word program and save to this file.

After I get several new recipes added, I save to my Rewritable CD that I burned a copy of at the beginning.

It's always nice to have a backup file or hardcopy.

Once I have tried my recipes and tweeked them to my satisfaction, I print them off to fit into my Paper recipe album book.

There are several newer Software programs that deal with Recipes.

They allow you to print recipes to fit into your average recipe file box. You can also create a recipe Album, like a photo album, to give to family and friends.

You can get this software at Staples.com, Office Max.com, Office Depot.com, Walmart, Best Buy, F.Y.E., etc.

Google "recipe software". Here's a few to look at !

See what manufacturers have to offer.

Sometimes you will find a Free Trial software download on one of those websites -try it first before you buy it.

Free Trial Software:

Cookbook Wizard recipes software- 30 day FREE Trial download To buy after 30 days- $17.95 or CD by mail- $23.95 (prices thru Dec 2007)

Living Cookbook- Free Trial or you can buy it $29.95

Here's a REVIEW of cookbook software for 2007. http://cookbook-recipe-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

Read what other people have said about different kinds. Price comparisons are shown for each one.

HTH

I use my Wordpad program on my computer.

I have different pages for different sites or types of recipes. That makes it easy to change things. I print a page out when I want to try one and then make any notes.

If it's really, really good, I write it in my Betty Crocker cookbook in the proper place.

I print out what I want to try and put them in a binder. The binder is divided into sections like a cookbook. If we like the recipe when I make it, it goes into a page protector. If not it goes into the trash. That way the recipes are in some kind of order and I can remember whether I made it and liked it. I have a second binder for my canning recipes.

I keep mine in a binder. I put recipies that I want to try in the front of the binder in a pocket folder that I have for them, and once I try them and like them I'll put them in the binder under the appropriate heading.

Dawn

I keep anything that I run across on the computer that sounds interesting in a word file on my hard drive. Then I print it out when I'm ready to try it.

I keep anything that I've ripped out of a magazine that sounds interesting I keep in a couple of magazine files on my cookbook shelf.

Anything of those that we've tried and will make again, I keep in a manila folder on my cookbook shelf. Someday I'll get it into a binder, but in the meantime it means I have a lot less paper to sort through when I'm looking for a recipe.

Archived