MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Baking Powder

JCK88 had a good thread on baking powder back in October in "just the facts" and there was talk of moving it, but I can't find it!

Had a semi-disaster with baking powder today, so I'd like to bump up this topic...if there's already an active thread on this, please lead me to it!

I found a recipe for "Mile High Biscuits" on Recipezaar that everyone was raving about:

http://www.recipezaar.com/26499

Didn't think I'd had my baking powder as long as I had, so I failed to check it...Use before July 07. Arrrrgggghhh!!

The thing is, this recipe calls for cream of tartar, which Westie gave as an ingredient in making homemade baking powder, but that didn't overcome the problem of the old baking powder. Cry.gif

My question is this: I don't think there's any way to "proof" or test for viability in baking powder, OR the homemade version of baking soda/cream of tartar/cornstarch, like there is with yeast. Basically you don't know until you've baked whatever it is you're baking, right?

In Judy's thread, several of you say you've been able to use 3 year old baking powder with good results, so why did mine hardly rise, after just 6 months past expiration?? Especially since I added cream of tartar also??

Doesn't seem like baking biscuits should be so hard, but I've tried all sorts of recipes with only okay results.

I'm on a mission here...for some reason, I keep thinking about these to-die-for biscuits we got every morning in my sorority house when I was in college way back in the dark ages. One of our cooks was absolutely famous for her biscuits. Being young and stupid, I didn't think to ask for her recipe or to try to watch her a time or two...These puppies were HUGE, light, fluffy...to die for. Nothing I try comes close.

Any and all comments or suggestions would be most appreciated!

GOODMORNING3-1.jpg

I agree with Leah, if it fizzes, it is good. smile

I get mine in a 5 pound can that I keep in the freezer until I need more. Oh, I have a small can that I keep to use, but when it runs out, I get more from the freezer. smile

HAVEAGREATDAYTEAPOT.gifSNOWMANHUGSINPURPLE.jpg

Thanks everyone; never knew you could "proof" baking powder! That recipe looks good, too; a little different proportions. You're in Texas, I see, CrabGrassAcres??

This sounds silly, but maybe different recipes work better for different latitudes. Texas and La are at the same latitude, so maybe yours will work here in La!! Thanks for the link.

I've heard advice about biscuitmaking that deals with kneading, patting, dropping; different ways of finalizing the dough. Which method do you all think gives the highest results?

I know, a lot of questions, but I've had so many flops that it must be some technique I'm getting wrong.

I got some new baking powder last night, so I've solved that problem.

Snowmom; you mention putting yours in the freezer. I do that with flour. I have been letting it sit out some before I bake, but not room temp (can't seem to plan ahead enough for that!}

Do you use the baking powder frozen; or do you bring it to room temp. I'm thinking that since I use my ingredients cold, that may be affecting my results...can that be affecting my biscuits'

"rise?"

Try this recipe. It was my grandmother's. She didn't measure anything, so I watched her make them and estimated how much of everything she put. Now, I don't measure anything, either, which is why I can't tell you how much buttermilk it needs. I would say I start out with about 3/4 of a cup, then add more until it's right.

Grandma's Biscuits

4 cups self-rising flour

1/2 cup shortening (or 1/3 cup lard)

1/2 t. baking soda

buttermilk

Mix flour with baking soda, then work the shortening into the flour mixture until it resembles meal. Make a well in the center and add some buttermilk. Mix. Add more buttermilk until you have a soft dough. Turn out onto floured board and knead a bit (around 15 seconds). Roll out and cut into circles. I use a glass for this.

Place circles in greased 9"X13" pan, with sides touching. Bake at 450 degrees, in top 1/3 of the oven, until nicely browned.

I haven't been brand loyal, but the bag I'm currently using is Gold Medal Allpurpose organic. It's recently purchased; stored in the freezer.

I tried for 17 years to make good biscuits, when I lived in Michigan. They were always like bricks or, at best, barely edible. I tried every recipe I could find.

Then I moved south and was staying with my sister. She makes wonderful biscuits, so I asked her what I was doing wrong. She had me bake a batch, while she watched. She said I wasn't doing anything wrong. They came out great, for the first time. That's when she told me that it was the southern brands of self-rising flour that makes them light and fluffy, yet still moist. I haven't made a bad biscuit since.

I think your problem might be with the flour, but not because of its age or how it was stored - just the kind.

See, that's the thing. Everyone seems to be "tweaking" the basic ingredients!

Thanks for your family recipe! I've printed it out to try.

Now, one of my best friends swears by that self-rising flour too; she says she uses "White Lilly" brand. Your grandmother's recipe has that, as well as lard, which I've also heard to be some folks' secret.

I bought a small amount of lard to try for the first time ever! They always say so many bad things about that kind of fat, but I'm going to try this anyway today. What do "they" know anyway??

What about having everything at room temp? I have this flour in my freezer; should I bring it completely to room temp before I mix up everything?

Belle is absolutely correct... mills produce flour for northern areas of the US with a higher protein content (more hard wheat) in the blend... which makes for a good all purpose flour that makes bread decently too. Flour blends for the south usually have a much higher proportion of soft wheat and are lower in protein - so they make excellent biscuits and pastrys - but is not as good for yeast breads.

You can buy soft wheat - low protein flour for using in biscuits and cakes - and it works much better.

I haven't noticed that the temperature of the ingredients makes much difference. I've used frozen flour, as well as nearly melted lard and they always come out fine.

I have heard about all the problems with lard, but I've heard at least as much about the transfats in some shortening, as well as the process that makes it a solid (can't think of what it's called). You can make these with butter, too, if you prefer.

I make my own lard, from organically raised hogs (I raise them myself, so I know what they ate). I don't worry so much about it.

Well, that makes me really blush I'm close to New Orleans; how much further south can one be??

Only thing I can think is that maybe they're shipping in flour from other areas? I have looked at the flour bag, and a lot of brands don't tell you whether it's hard or soft wheat. They just say wheat. Maybe I need to find a brand that tells you which it is...or grind it myself, like a lot of ppl around here do.

Thank you!!

That's good to know, Belle. I was thinking it was the temps...maybe that just matters with bread.

You're so fortunate to know where your lard comes from. That makes you feel better about it.

Is the word you're looking for "hydrogenation"??

That MUST be it!! The big national brands I've been using don't say, so it's probably hard wheat. In my former sheeple life, I didn't worry about it...my kids loved the "Grands" biscuits, so why bother, right?

I'm gonna get a new bag befor trying again...Thanks!! I was thinking it was the baking powder, but it's GOTTA be the flour. I feel so stupid...

I'm getting a late start doing it the right way, but better late than never, right?

Originally Posted By: Belle
Aw, don't feel stupid. I was 37 when I learned it, and I had to have my younger sister explain it to me.

Better than me, though. I'm 52 eek (Did I admit that out loud???)

GOODMORNING3-1.jpg

Sorry, I didn't get back to you.

I try to make sure it is room temp. but I have had to use it when it comes out of the freezer too. I think it works best at room temp though. smile

I think that the flour should be room temp too. But, I use yeast right out of the freezer and it is fine.

HAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gifSNOWMANHUGSINPURPLE.jpg

Thank you! Good to know!! For the first time, I've gotten one of Sam's Club big blocks of yeast...haven't opened it yet; still using up some envelopes. I didn't realize you could put it in the freezer and not have it go "inactive." VERY good to know.

I think I'll have to start keeping a couple pounds out of the freezer, if you think it works better...I guess the bug eggs are frozen to death if you freeze it first...

I'm determined to get this right!!

Archived