MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

OK - Got canner, weight and valve

The MacKinnon

... now what? I downloaded the manual to the AA 915 (the seller never did send the original he said he had), got the weight and vent thingy for Christmas, have 2 books (Putting Food By & The Ball Book of Preserving).

I have some pint and quart jars, lids and seals, the goodies for canning (the accessories that come with the Ball canning set for jams, mostly).

I DO NOT have a dishwasher here, though. Water out of tap does get really hot, though.

Ok - I'd love suggestions and recipes on what to can first. Something relatively straight forward - like maybe soup or stew or spaghetti sauce???

Help??? Oh and where is a good place to order more jars,and supplies? I will look for estate sales and flea markets, but I haven't seen any so far.

Try walmart for your jars.

As far as recipes, soups, spaghetti sauce, meats, anything will work. It's just what you're in the mood for. Things like spaghetti sauce would be easy enough.

Also try freecycle for jars in your area.

You probably already know that the best time to buy jars etc. is in the late summer and fall when the gardens are ripe. You may still be able to find some jars and lids at your grocery store or Walmart.

For me, I'd rather buy locally so I don't have to pay shipping. If you are desperate, you could try a candle supply or glass supply company.

Originally Posted By: MtnMama
... now what? I downloaded the manual to the AA 915 (the seller never did send the original he said he had), got the weight and vent thingy for Christmas, have 2 books (Putting Food By & The Ball Book of Preserving).

I have some pint and quart jars, lids and seals, the goodies for canning (the accessories that come with the Ball canning set for jams, mostly).

I DO NOT have a dishwasher here, though. Water out of tap does get really hot, though.

Ok - I'd love suggestions and recipes on what to can first. Something relatively straight forward - like maybe soup or stew or spaghetti sauce???

Help??? Oh and where is a good place to order more jars,and supplies? I will look for estate sales and flea markets, but I haven't seen any so far.

First Canning Jars:

I get my jar all from freecycle.com It's a site where people give there unwanted item to others that might be in need. Just go to the site and put in your zip code and it will tell you how many member are in that area...Then join..You can Offer a item or ask for an item....Ex:

Offered: Table and Chairs (Rock Tavern, NY
Or
Wanted: Canning Jars (Rock Tavern, NY

In the body of the letter you can make a statement.

Ex:

I'm looking for any size Canning Jar you may have that are collecting dust. I would greatly appreciate it. I can pick up at your convience.

Thank you.

If anyone has jar they don't want they will email you.

I can not help you with what to do with canning...I can tell you what not to do...

OK Until your an expert leave the recipes to the Book that you have.

Don't put pasta in your recipes nor rice.
Don't put Dairy in your recipes
Don't use thinkener like Flour or cornstarch. They have specific Thinkeners. Ask someone here...There pro's.

Darlene recommended this site for help with canning Directions. http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/index.html

Violet works for the Canning Extension place...Not sure what it's called but she's the one they call when they have questions about safe canning. She's wonderful.

Don't listen to your grandmother mother. I learned from a site that was outdated and not all the old canning recipes are safe.

Darlene monitors the recipes here and they're fantastic.

Other than that we had my Can applesauce for dinner tonight and the butternut squashed I canned this summer...Yummy... feedme

Good luck, Your going to do just Great... canning

Thank you, Happy Camper for your nice comments. I work for the County Extension office. I am a Master Food Preserver/Food Safety Advisor.

The link Darlene sent is basically the information we provide. I do have some other supplemental information that I was taught and given during training. But, if you stick with the link she sent, along with the Ball Blue Book, you will be totally safe in your food preps.

Soups are great to start with. Dried beans, too. They are inexpensive and easy to do, as well.

As was said, no dairy of any kind, no eggs, dairy, thickeners, rice, pasta, barley, are safe to add. Most often, not any oil or butter, fat of any kind, etc. (Well, there is now a lemon curd recipe that must be followed exactly that has butter and eggs, but it is due to the high acid content of the bottled lemon juice that keeps it safe. It is more like a jam product. )

I know everyone here is happy to help you.

Happy canning !

Truly,

Violet

Archived