MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Boric Acid Not Herbal but.......

John has been having problems with Pink Eye lately and the silver water we have usually works but not this time. His mom used to use boric acid. 1/2 teaspoon dissolved by boiling in a pint of water. Use to rinse the eye. Anybody ever used boric acid and I'd love to know more details and uses. It seems very soothing and it used to be used for infections?

Yes,I have used it for sore eyes. Not sure it always will take care of pinkeye, but sometimes it does.

I know this may not be the place for it, it should be in ladies only or something, but it can cure yeast infections. If you want more info on how to use it for that, I can post there. Let me know.

I used boric acid for pink eye many years ago. It worked very well. I have heard of its use in treating athlete's foot, though thankfully I've not had occasion to use it that way.

It is a good insecticide. I have used it on ants in my house, mixed with either sugar or oil, whichever the little beasties seem to go after. I talked with a termite inspector, and he told me it works on termites too!

Violet, if it's not too graphic you could post the yeast info here. I know that we have some men in the forums also but they may have women in their lives who could use this info.

Otherwise, please do post it somewhere for us. It could be an import piece of knowledge. Thanks for the offer.

((( ))))

Ok, I will post, if it will help.

You go to the pharmacy and buy size 0 empty gelatin capsules. I think health food stores have them,too. Sit and fill them by scooping one side of the capsule into a dish of boric acid powder. Be sure they are not CRYSTALs, but Powdered boric acid. You can get it at the pharmacy, too. Put the caps on the capsules. Insert them.... you girls know where. Use one each night until things are cleared up. Then, if you have problems on a regular basis, use once or twice a week. It does work. It works because it makes things too acidic for the yeast to grow. It is an old time remedy, but my doctor still says to do it and it works. Sure cheaper than the other meds you buy.

Also, she says to use Basis brand soap to bathe with. Plus, only free and clear laundry soap. No fabric softeners or fabric softener sheets.

Oh, I thought to look online and found a site that says basically what I did about making the capsules up:

http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/yeastinfe...stinfecti_2.htm

Great post Violet. I'm glad you brought it up. Thank you.

Susie, if you can't get capsules you might be able to use the boric acid powder mixed with a small amount of plain yogurt as an insert with a small devised applicator.

Yogurt is also usable by itself the same way for yeast. Don't overdo it with the amounts but use it regularly. I've used yugurt just like a lotion on baby's bottoms for diaper rash also. I wonder if boric acid added would be advisable. Does anyone know the safety of it for babies?

This is the type of information we might need in a SHTF situation. Think Bird flu (or any disaster), when you don't want to leave your home or wouldn't want to be or couldn't get into a doctor's office or drug store. Boric acid powder can be stored ahead of time and dry yogurt culture is available at most health food stores and can be stored and used to make yogurt from powdered milk. It goes a long way if you perpetuate the yugurt and yogurt itself is a healthy part of a nutritious diet. Win win situation.

Again, Thanks Violet.

((( ))))

You are welcome. I am also going to get some hydrogen peroxide on hand. That, and a bottle of tea tree oil.

I don't know about the diaper rash use, I have seen conflicting reports . Some say it is dangerous to babies, but, some diaper creams contain it. I would not use it unless I knew for sure. Using cornstarch, as some folks do can make it worse if it isn't yeast.

Vinegar is supposed to help if the rash is caused by yeast. Depends upon what the diaper rash is from. The vinegar will also help bring the acid level up if candida/yeast is the cause for diaper rash.

Thanks all smile I like that the Boric acid is one of those fairly inexpensive remedies. The silver water has been good for diaper rashes and John's alternating the silver and boric acid rinses and the redness is gone. I'll let you all know if the boric acid works for athlete's foot next time we have that going around.

Archived