MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Tomato sauce prep equipment

Fritz_Monroe

I placed our order for seeds last night. We will be growing some Amish Sauce tomatoes. It got me thinking, what do I need to make tomato sauce? Will I need a food mill? I'm hoping to get a big enough harvest to have to can some of the sauce, but will a water bath be acceptable for tomato sauce?

I want to save up money to make the purchases so I'll have the equipment prior to harvest time, so any help would be appreciated.

http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/product/...iProductID=6883

This is a great food mill to make tomato sauce with. Wouldn't be without it. Also know as a Victorio strainer. They also have other screens that come with it to strain berries (I use it to strain blackberries for jelly.) and such. They run about 40-50 dollars for a good one. But it should last you a life time. It is the easiest way to get the seeds and skin off your maters!

As for water bath the sauce...YES! If you don't have one yet, get a copy of the Ball Blue Book for canning instructions and recipes. It's all in there for ya. grin

Q

I have one I got years ago similar to this one http://www.creativecookware.com/standard_mills.htm

To tell the truth I rarely use it for tomatoes. I use it mostly for apple sauce. On my tomatoes, I peal them, core them and put them in the blender. I usually turn the tomato sauce into spaghetti sauce. I hardly ever find a tomato seed. Sometimes I'll find a part of one.

I water bath mine too.

I have a Victorio strainer, but I've never used it yet. Instead I pull out my old cone-shaped one because the kids have enjoyed using it.

The cone one has a three-footed heavy wire stand, cone with a handle and lottsa holes, and a wooden "pusher/roller" shaped like a cone with a knob on the top to hold onto. Simple and cheap. It will do the job if you find one at a second-hand store or garage sale.

Will someone please list the important parts of the Victorio strainer so people will know if it's complete if they find one at a second-hand store or garage sale??

thanks

clap Thanks, Quilty! Print it out and take it along to the second-hand stores or garage sales!

In fact, it might be a good idea to keep a folder in the car with a printout of all of the things you'd like... grinders, canners, etc. with model numbers, parts list/pics, and prices. That way it's always handy for those "serendipity" moments.

thanks

Archived