MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Inventory Day

Cowgirl

It is one of those truly cold and bitter days, sunny, but bone-chilling and windy. It was just above zero F when I got up this morning. The winds are blowing at around 22 miles per hour, so the wind chill is severe. There's critter care, of course, but otherwise, this is a very good day to work on an indoor project.

frozen

Sunday is generally the day I catch up on

clothesline

And while I'm doing that too, today I am finally doing what I've known I should do for some time. I am doing an inventory of preps. Goodness, you should see the mess it makes just emptying out one shelf to tally its contents, before I put it back and start the next shelf! I cannot complete this project today, but I think I can make a really good start. And while I'm at it, I'm taking measurements for re-doing some of the storage areas - I'm going to be adding some shelves soon, I think - really could make the storage more efficient if I did! While I'm at it, I'm cleaning each shelf and dusting the contents.

dusting

The project has moved along faster than I anticipated. I've got through the pantry and 3 closets so far. There's more to do, but the rest of the inventory is not food.

It has been amazing to me in some respects to get a count on our various preps. One thing it is really showing me is where we have holes. We have a year's supply (or more) of some things, 9 months of some things, and perhaps 3 months of others. So, this has allowed me to make a list where I can focus on the weaker areas of our preps.

It was a good thing that the weather forced me inside today. I've had to focus on a chore I'd been putting off. And the education and information that doing this has provided has been very helpful.

Thanks to all who have posted about doing inventory. I still don't have mine on a computer, but at least it is in a notebook! Now, to try to learn Excell, or whatever that spreadsheet is called.

throwcomputer

Yup!! Just finished my inventory a week ago. [skagit's feeling slightly smug!!] Every thing gets checked for date, viability, leakage, bugs and possible mice infestation.

Keep mine in a notebook. One page for EVERY prep. Alphabetized.

Green Beans have a mark for every can put in, ..and x'ed when removed.

Often times, in another sheet right behind each prep sheet will be the date, store and best price per brand in my area.

If I have a run on a certain prep, I know immediately where to go for replacement.

But then I've been doing this for a very looooog time. [skagit looks around, then whispers, before computers!! Wow!]

Good job, all of you that have inventories. Good secure sleeping at night.

Originally Posted By: Skagitgal

Keep mine in a notebook. One page for EVERY prep. Alphabetized.
Green Beans have a mark for every can put in, ..and x'ed when removed.

You've given me some ideas for how to organize my data now, so thank you!!! I was messing with Excel last night and I got something accomplished (I figured out a little about how it works), but I'm not sure I like it. Of course, in fairness, I have only messed with it for a couple of hours. I'm sure if I knew how to move data around and add it easily, I'd like it better. But I may just go with a notebook that I keep in the main pantry. That way it is easy to update when I pull something out to make dinner or bring in a new load of supplies.

I'm not sure I'm following your system, though. Do you just have tick marks and x's on the page? Do you have a tally number anywhere?

Originally Posted By: Skagitgal

Often times, in another sheet right behind each prep sheet will be the date, store and best price per brand in my area.

I really like the idea of incorporating your price book and inventory in one. It would be very handy in some respects.

Thanks for the ideas!!!

I think I prefer the (paper) notebook idea. You still have it if the power goes out, you can carry it downstairs and up with out hassle or worries.

Also I am old enough to have spent my childhood using paper and pencil to organize my thoughts. It is easier for me. I still carry a small spiral notebook in my purse for joting things down, not a PDA or other electronic gadget.

Cowgirl, I posted a link elsewhere for a free excel inventory program, have you seen it? It was initially useful for me to use and made me realize I am not at my 3 month mark, but I can tell I'd find it annoying to have to use regularly, whereas a 3 ring binder would feel easy and natural.

CG,

My method is very low tech and possibly too time consuming for some.

My goal, written behind every prep, is the number of the item I want on hand. For example; in green beans, I want two cans a week, so 104 cans on hand.

There are 104 [ /] marks that are marked to an x when it is used.

It is the same with corn [104], beets [52], peas/carrots [52], spinach [26]..every other week..not a big seller!. Prefer fresh!

This is the reason for one prep per page. When the page is used..just throw out and go with a new page.

I have debated about throwing in the rest of my system.

I have a weeks worth of food in a prep tote. EVERYTHING [in the food line] I need to fix food, [minus the fresh protein, & veggies]. So, I have 52 weeks, 52 totes. I also have the room!!!

Most families rotate no more than 14 different meals in and out of their plans.

So these are 14 brk. lunch, & suppers...according to the MASTER menu per every 2 weeks.

Does that make sense?

The week I make spaghetti, meatloaf, fried chicken, stir fry, cube steak , mac & cheese and roast for Sunday...all the support items are in the tote. I bring it in, it sits under the desk. Very handy. Now I also serve rice or beans with every supper.

It is very necessary for a person's system to be used to processing the additional fiber.

There is a comfort in knowing what's for supper. It help's you control the food dollars. It takes time to create the habit in the COOK. This is the person that has to have the training.

Have children? Tailor the menu to the times you have to have your meal on the table.

If Tuesday is the night you get home at 6:30 with 3 starving kida & hubby blows in 10 minutes later.....thats the night supper is ready in the crockpot. It gives the cook control.

If all your meals are late, [& your tempted to stop for fast food] rather than cook. Break the habit.

Do eggs & pancakes, beans & ham [cooked all day in crockpot], chili, you can do it. If you train yourself.

It almost to the point that one outside meal, will cost as much as three homemade. See what can be gained.?

Oh Skagitgal you made me remember back to when my kids were home and we had such a busy hectic life. I did as you're saying plus I also had stews, meats, potatoes, veggies, etc. canned that could be cooked up quickly on those nights when we were all starving and so little time.

Opening up a jar of canned potatoes and scrambling them in with some fresh farm eggs and ham made a quick filling and nutrious meal. Add some toast and jelly and a glass of juice and you're ready to go in no time.

It really isn't hard, just takes some practice and will power to say NO to a stop at a fast food pick up.

Skagit, I too have a goal number alongside each prep item. I must say, though, that I don't have any canned spinach - in our house it is fresh or it isn't on the menu. smile I'm a from scratch cook, but I don't have a rotating menu of 14 items. I get bored pretty easily and like to make new things.

Instead of organizing all of my preps in totes (though that would make a VERY handy bug-out item, for sure), I have them grouped together by type in the pantry. For example, all canned beans are together - oldest in front. I bring items from other areas where I have bulk storage to the pantry in more manageable quantities as needed.

I'm a big fan of the Crock Pot too. Mine sits out on the counter all week, as it is constantly busy. I could not work and cook without it! I use my heavy cast iron ware on the weekends, but during the week, when we are on the run, I LOVE that Crock Pot!

Yes, I agree that fiber is important in the diet. I've always eaten that way. It is good for a person!

I grew up prepping. I've always prepped. I've rotated preps. I've just never kept a written inventory. I know one *should* and I see its utility. I've just never liked to inventory anything, and so it is one of those chores I always put off. But I'm going to try to make this system one that I can easily keep up, and your system of hatch marks and Xs makes sense as a way I could easily keep up with the inventory.

Thanks!

The thing is, it makes no difference which system, or how you set it up.

Just DO IT. BE IN CONTROL.

As Dee says, have emergency meals. Mine are in a paper sack. Everything needed to make a quickie meal. Cans of chili, or stew, or canned ckicken. For cornbread or biscuits..it is all premeasured & vaccumn sealed. A can of veggies, a can of fruit and you can get by until the next meal.

I did not include my home canned protein here. Sometimes the extra 20 minutes to boil, is WAY too long. LOL.

I can put a meal on the table under 15 min. & it's 30 for home canned.

By the time the table is set, cookies defrosting in the micro,[use a little something to dress up the meal], hands are washed, supper's on.

For a little bit of pre-planning, and 15 minutes worth of hustle, you've saved upwards of $30.00.

But hey....don't forget to plan for treat nights. Take the saved weekdays supper costs and buy pizza, or hamburgers...or whatever tickles your food desire. Not often,....then it's not a treat, but flexable. This makes you a business planner, bringing in the project under cost. WHAT a hero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great thread!!!! Thank you!!!

I am a computer addict... admittance is the first step to recovery...

So my inventory and price book and such are on the computer in excel... BUT I do keep printouts.

My daughters do a monthly physical inventory for me... but I am working to set up tally sheets so we can possibly reduce physical inventory to quarterly.

I keep my inventory, price book, and shopping list all in one excel file... seperate worksheets. That is just what works for me.

I am trying to add my herbs and my non-food items to it.

I do try to do a monthly menu... sometimes I get lazy. I also keep a file with all our meals listed by type. Sometimes we forget old favorites until I check the list.

Mornings are more hectic *here* than dinners... due to AM chores and our current schedule... so that is where I have to really simplify. Oatmeal 4-5x a week, muffins 1-2x, and dh's waffles 1x.

I totally agree on having *quick* *emergency* meals lined up. At the top of my monthly menu is a short list of quick & easy meals if we need to substitute.

One advantage to only 1 vehicle... is not being out & about. But we still sometimes have *one of those days*... or a goat kids... or or or....

• 2 weeks later...

Skagit, how big are the totes you use? Just trying to get a visual on how much space 52 totes would take up. And you said you have everything you need for for one weeks breakfast, lunch and dinner in each one?

Archived