MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Question about homemade applesauce

My family uses alot of applesauce. Both my son and husband love to eat it with snacks or lunches and I use it in cooking as well.

Here's my questions~~

Given the rising food costs, do you think it would be more cost effective to buy the apples and make it myself or to purchase it already made? Also, if making homemade is better, what are the best types of apples to use?

I just use whatever apples are free or cheap, other than red delicious. I don't like them, personally. It is even fine to use a mixture of apples. I do like gala and fuji apples a lot.

Hearing what I do about commercial foods, I am happy I know how to can.

I also make sugar free applesauce for myself, which is really good. I open it,then add sweetener if I want it.

This will give you an idea of yields.

An average of 21 pounds is needed per canner load of 7 quarts; an average of 13½ pounds is needed per canner load of 9 pints. A bushel weighs 48 pounds and yields 14 to 19 quarts of sauce – an average of 3 pounds per quart.

Quality: Select apples that are sweet, juicy and crisp. For a tart flavor, add 1 to 2 pounds of tart apples to each 3 pounds of sweeter fruit.

I used 4 bushels of McIntosh and it yielded 70 quarts of applesauce. They were so sweet that they needed no sugar...just all apples. So it's kind of a trade off. I would rather make and can my own so I know exactly what is in it and how it was processed. Call me picky...its okay! grin

Q

In Iowa we have so many apple trees I've never bought any to can. We have our own, Fuji, apple trees now and I like them better than any I've ever used.

If you know of trees in your area many people will be glad to let you pick theirs just to get rid of them. They will be glad to have you come back the next year too if you'll pick up all the fallen ones laying on the ground.

We put the rotten ones in buckets to feed to the livestock or chickens, or throw out in the field for the deer, etc. The better ones I use as well as the ones we've picked from the trees.

Combining more than one apple variety (preferably 2) makes a better applesauce, in my not so humble opinion...

I tend to use Mutsu and oh, what's those red, meaty ones....they're kinda small...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

I'm drawing a blank lol...but they're readily availble in the grocery stores.

Archived