MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pinging keeps grandson awake!

Shari

Here is one for the books! Five-year-old grandson is here for the week-end. It is 9:30 p.m. He just came out of his room and said "Granny, I can't sleep with all that pinging going on!" I just finished 5 pints of chicken, 7 quarts of chili (Ball Blue Book Recipe) and 7 pints of pickled asparagus! There is alot of pinging going on!

I think that 2 chocolate chip cookies at bedtime and the fact the grandbaby did not really want to go to sleep REALLY made him sleepless! Last fall, when I started canning again, he showed he could be a big help - even at 5 years old. He loves to wash the produce and sort and even grind for pickle relishes or crank the juicer. One day he asked, "Granny why do you call it canning when we put all the stuff in jars? We should call it jarring!" So, we do not can anymore. We jar! He told his other Grandma that he and I make the best applesauce. Guess who else wants to learn to jar!

Is there anything more precious and perfect than grandchilden? I have the one, 16 month old, and I can't wait to take him to the garden with me this summer. Everyone knows he'll just pull flowers as well as weeds BUT being a grandmother I see no problem with that.....I'll just plant extra flowers this year.

Jarring, that's good!!! You got a smart grandson there!!! bighug

Dee, You are going to have a ball as that young one grows! We started with just a tomato plant on the deck when Caleb was just a sprout. He caught on to growing and saving food early on. he was so cute at the Framers' Market last year. He would carry his own market bag and the ladies and gents would always sneak him extra beans, beets or even a great big melon once!

Oh my gosh, how cute is that!!! I'm so looking forward to every step this child takes through the years! Well, maybe not so much his teenage years since he lives right across the road from us! eek

Archived