MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning Beef Question

YYY

Hi Everybody,

Every time I can beef, the meat seems to be very dry even though I always include liquid in the jar (enough to cover). Does anyone have suggestions for what I can do differently to make the meat moist and tender?

Thanks,

YYY

Yes, I think so, however, I usually do a little more than browning. Maybe you just got a tough old steer.

The texture of beef does change in canning, but I don't find it to be tough.

What cut of meat are you using ? I find chuck is the best. It is tender and just falls apart. I use beef boullion as my broth for it.

There are 2 kinds of packs in canning.

Hot pack and raw pack.

Hot pack is hot food and liquid packed into the jars, normally both are heated together in a pan, then put into the jars.

Raw pack is the raw food put into jars and hot liquid put in each jar (for most foods).

Raw pack of meat doesn't require liquid to be added to the jars, it is just meat and salt. Same pressure canning times.

Bear, beef, lamb, pork, veal, venison

PROCEDURE: Choose quality chilled meat. Remove excess

fat. Soak strong-flavored wild meats for 1 hour in brine

water containing 1 tablespoon of salt per quart. Rinse.

Remove large bones.

Hot pack -- Precook meat until rare by roasting, stewing,

or browning in a small amount of fat. Add 1 teaspoon of

salt per quart to the jar, if desired.

Fill jars with pieces and add boiling broth, meat

drippings, water, or tomato juice (especially with wild

game), leaving 1-inch headspace.

Raw pack -- Add 1 teaspoon of salt per quart to the jar,

if desired. Fill jars with raw meat pieces, leaving 1-

inch headspace. Do not add liquid.

Cold pack is an old timey term not used in canning books any more.

Virginia, Still Survieving and Violet

Thanks to all of you for your responses.

Violet, I really don’t remember what cut of meat, but next time I’ll make sure it’s chuck.

I am really tickled right now. Things have REALLY been hectic lately, and I’m very tired. Violet, toward the middle of your response you wrote: “Hot pack -- Precook meat”. What I read was “Hot pack – PEACOCK meat”. My first thought was that I didn’t now that people could eat Peacocks and wondered what could be done with the pretty feathers. -- Then I re-read what you wrote.

I need to go lay down and take a nap.

Thanks again y’all.

YYY

PS - I like the new banner at the top !!!

I sure got a laugh about the peacock meat ! Well, I don't know of anyone who has eaten one yet. I suppose if it tastes good, just can like chicken. Hey, we all know everything tastes like chicken, ha ha !

You can make pretty wreaths from the peacock feathers. The Victorians decorated with them. They used them in vases, too.

Never tried peacock either, but they sure are pretty. They are mean I think, so we might have to give it a try if chicken gets too high. Probably have to visit a zoo though. We don't have peacocks around here. smile

http://www.historicfood.com/Pie%20recipe2.htm

Among the other delicacies served at the eight year old Henry's feast in Westminster Hall were "Partryche and Pecock enhackyll". The latter was a cooked peacock mounted in its skin.

peacockpie.jpg

Archived