MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

West's Dog Food recipe

etp777

So i figured I'd start this thread for you, west, and let you fill it in with the actual recipe grin

Whitewolf called you out in another thread, with the following, and I think a lot of us would be interested in how you do this, both as a way to make use of the bones, and to feed the pups:

"Anything that I wouldn't consume.....like bones, pressure can for dogs, if you have any. Then you can add things like veggies and such and make up dog food for them. The pressure canning turns to bones pretty much to mush......I believe "westbrook" is the expert on this!!!! "

Thanks in advance, and I hope this doesn't keep you from having too much fun with Darlene. smile

gosh, the information is all over the place. will try to find it and post the links.

I can't tell someone what to feed their dogs. My dear Mother has a Designer dog which east differently then mine.

I feed mine entrails, heads, legs of the livestock I am butchering.. not so good for a fluffy lap pooch.

I pressure cook, or crock pot, or simmer the bones until either soft or all the marrow is leached out. Add rice or wheat or other grain high in protein, any vegetables including pumpkin to keep things moving in the gut.

you can make dried food by using the above ingredients with freshly ground flour, making a dough then baking until dry, break into pieces and feed.

when I get home and settled.

Field expedient pet food:

I have at times cooked down a quart or so of minnows and tadpoles until the bones were mushy, and mixed it with a quart of available starch (old bread, rice, whatever) and at least a cup of high-fiber vegetable (cooked down soft and stirred in with the fish-mush so the dogs can't eat around it). Threw in a minced boiled egg if I had one. Only one, though. More than one egg for three dogs makes the nocturnal farts unbearable. This recipe worked for dogs and cats, although my cats at that time were freely supplementing the food bowl with squirrels, birds, moles, lizards, etc. Come payday, we normally went back to Purina.

Dry Dog Food #1 from storage:

1 cup wheat flour

1 cup coarse wheat meal (don't have to grind as fine as flour, but every single grain should be broken more than in half)

1 cup corn meal

1 coffee scoop dried egg or egg white (substitute dry milk)

1 heaping tablespoon yeast (good use for dead yeast)

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 coffee scoop of well-toasted (toasted BROWN!) egg shells, very well crushed/ground (omit for older dogs or dogs with a history of kidney stones) (substitute bone meal)

pinch of salt

about 2/3 cup fat (less for older dog, more if needed)

flavoring (a sardine, a dab of peanut butter, a boullion cube, some toasted sunflower seed, half a teaspoon of the TVP nobody else will touch)

water

Stir together dry ingredients. Cut in fat and flavoring. Add water, a splash at a time, until consistency of Play Doh . Roll up to shape cigars or hot dogs. Bake a long time in a slow oven (solar works fine) or at 350 for 30 minutes, or until it smells done. If one dog is ill or injured, or has bad teeth, feed him uncooked cigars. Cook for the other dogs because the crunching and gnawing entertains them while cleaning their teeth.

Flea Stuff

My vet advises using the most expensive kind of monthly flea/tick/mosquito treatment every two to three weeks during the warm months here. Rather than shell out close to $300 per month just to keep the fleas thinned out, we've worked out some compromises. The cats who will sit still for it get flea-combed daily, particularly around the neck and base of tail. The cats who won't sit still for this don't come indoors. The dogs get flea-combed, at least at the neck and in front of the base of the tail, once or twice a day. Everyone gets fed yeast and garlic daily. Everyone gets powdered daily in summer and whenever a flea is noticed in winter. We usually only buy flea treatments for about four months of the year now, and a "one-month dose" has to last at least six weeks.

Homegrown Cat Flea Powder:

Very finely grind 1/2 cup or so of dried rosemary (measured before grinding) with one small dried cayenne pepper. Throw in a few dried sage leaves if you have them, and one or two dried bay leaves if you have them. If you use a spice grinder for this, make sure you're wearing the goggles and paper mask you usually need when finely grinding cayenne. Dust the base of the tail by stroking the fur backward with one hand and sprinkling (VERY LIGHTLY) with the other. Then pet the cat a lot, spending some time massaging the powder into the skin. If she sticks around despite being powdered, put another dusting at the base of her ears and the nape of her neck. KEEP OFF THE FACE!

Keep the unused flea powder in a tightly sealed jar or baggie.

Homegrown (nonpregnant) Dog Flea Powder:

Grind a cup to a cup and a half of dried pennyroyal, half a cup at a time if your grinder is as puny as mine. Grind one large cayenne (or two small ones) with one of them half-cups of the pennyroyal. Shake or stir together the dried pennyroyal/pepper powder with the cat recipe above. Add a pinch of flowers of sulfur if the skin is already raw.

Pennyroyal will cause abortion in cats and rabbits, and sometimes in dogs, so keep this stuff away from your queens.

If you have access to eucalyptus leaves, coarsely crush several leaves and put in a "tea ball". Fasten the tea ball around the pets' neck. The leaves typically last several weeks before their effectiveness is gone (as long as they have a reasonably strong smell they are still good).

Avon "Skin So Soft" is also very good for keeping bugs off of their ears.

I learned the bone trick from Westie. As a matter of fact, I've got a crock pot full going right now. It is a nice addition to the food. Also, I recently found out that not only is the pumpkin good for fiber, it's natural dewormer. I put in any meat scraps that we have in addition to organ meat. I put in hearts, gizzards, livers. I can usually get quite a bit on the cheap. I put in oats, rice, eggs (also include the washed out and crushed shell for calcium), a can of fish for omega acids, and veggies as well. I also still add in some of their kibble when I fix their bowls. They need it for the crunch to keep their teeth healthy. They *love* this stuff and it really helps stretch the dollars. I make a big batch every few days. It only takes about 15-20 min., so it's not a chore. I usually make enough to fill a big ice cream bucket and keep it in the fridge.

Oops west, you're absolutely right, can't tell someone what to feed their dog. Sorry about that. I was just excited about idea that I can use the bones for the dogs safely, and mainly was concerned in that, jsut went overboard with it. smile Thanks for the recipes everyone else, going to have to try some of these and see which the dogs like.

raw meaty bones...

feed raw meaty bones, never cooked bones!!! this sounds like I am nuts.. 'cook bones to mush or leach out marrow' and 'never feed cooked bones'

the difference is cooked bones - chicken dry out and splinter if cooked, you eat the meat off and give to dog. this is not good. However, raw chicken bones are soft and a dog can chew to bits.

vets will say this is not good.. they are right! what if, one splinters and gets caught in the stomach or gut?

cooking chicken bones to mush is ok.

If you had a grinder that did bones to bone meal all the better! wish I had one and may go looking for one!

Fish for the Omegas.... use FLAX Seed rather then fish. I pay $18 for 50 pounds.. flax provided omega 3 and 6 fatty acids at a greatly reduced cost. you can use whole or found up. I prefer to use ground up.

ETP, you now have the basic information for feeding. there are links here about this subject.. I will be home tomorrow but will sleep for a couple of days.. Darlene wore me out! I will look for the information and post it here.

eggs, they can be dehydrated and also used in dog food (besides eating yourself), you can freeze eggs to use later.

uh oh... the eggs is just thrown in there cause I am tired and not making sense!

Archived