MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Free Sweet Potatoes

Virginia

About 2 years ago, a truck load of sweet potatoes was dumped at a church or somewhere in Calico Rock, AR. Free to all. It is happening again this week at the Post Office there. I think it is 20,000 pounds.

Last time, I heard many of the potatoes rotted for lack of being taken. If you are anywhere near there and can use some, stop by. In this heat they probably won't hold up too long.

Don't know why this happens, and maybe it is happening in a lot of small towns, but it is a blessing to many.

Don't know. The first time they did it, my family thought it was a shipment that could not be delivered. Now we are wondering if they just help little towns when they have a good crop? Checking, it was June, 2005, when they first did it.

I canned some and have not used them. Not our favorite. Now we are frying them in with onion and white potatoes. Yummy. I am thinking we can even put some in with beef stew or veg soup. Baking some of course.

Wow, how nice. I hope folks use them up.

My favorite recipe for sweet potatoes:

SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE

4 cups sweet potato, cubed

1/2 cup white sugar

2 eggs, beaten

1/2 teaspoon salt

4 tablespoons butter, softened

1/2 cup milk

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1/3 cup all-purpose flour

3 tablespoons butter, softened

1/2 cup chopped pecans

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Put sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan with water to cover. Cook over medium high heat until tender; drain and mash.

In a large bowl, mix together the sweet potatoes, sugar, eggs, salt, butter, milk and vanilla. Mix until smooth. Transfer to a 9x13 inch baking dish.

In medium bowl, mix the sugar and flour. Cut in the butter until the mixture is coarse. Stir in the pecans. Sprinkle the mixture over the sweet potato mixture.

Bake in the preheated oven 30 minutes, or until the topping is lightly brown.

Woohoo, 4 big boxes were delivered to me today. Helpful BIL. I am sharing of course, and we had some for supper. I went to the internet to check on storing. All kinds of advice. I do not want to can very many, but I don't to waste them either. What would you do?

If you have freeze space you can freeze them.

Freezing

Sweet Potatoes

Preparation – Choose medium to large sweet potatoes that have been cured for at least one week. Sort according to size and wash. Cook until almost tender in water, in steam, in a pressure cooker or in the oven. Let stand at room temperature until cool. Peel sweet potatoes, cut in halves, slice or mash.

If desired, to prevent darkening, dip whole sweet potatoes or slices for 5 seconds in a solution of 1/2 cup lemon juice to 1 quart water.

To keep mashed sweet potatoes from darkening, mix 2 tablespoons orange or lemon juice with each quart of mashed sweet potatoes.

Pack into containers, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Seal and freeze.

Baked – Wash, trim and heat potatoes in oven at 350ºF without peeling until slightly soft. Cool, remove peel and wrap individually in aluminum foil. Place in polyethylene bags and freeze. Complete the baking in an oven at 350ºF immediately before serving, leaving the potatoes wrapped in foil.

I would think drying them would be good, too. Have not dehydrated sweet potatoes, so I can't tell you exactly how they turn out.

Found out today that these potatoes are from Louisiana. Think a local food pantry arranged for them some way or another. They will not last long, rained on them last night and then heated up today, just dumped on pavement in a huge pile. Hope most are taken and used.

Boy I sure do hope folks get them before they go bad. Heard from extension agent today our food pantry got a load too but they are only given to the people on their rolls. She said many of the people who got them in their monthly allotment were complaining and didn't know what they were supposed to do with them or how to cook them.

*taterless granny boohoohoo*

Well, I am freezing some today. I am doing candied sweet potatoes, by partially cooking in margerine and brown sugar. Also, about to fry some in a little oil with chopped onions. I may try some like Violet said, just partially cook and freeze.

Thanks everyone.

For several years, now, our church has received a shipment of grapefruit from the Texas valley for free distribution. I think they are a gift from the grower. Do growers anywhere still allow "gleaning" of food crops?

Archived