MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Do you blanch before dehydrating?

Melissa

Yeh, let Violet do it, ha ha !

Ok, Miss Crazy, you go ahead and respond. This is what you are training for. Good practice for you. The student needs to answer this one !

Miss Crazy is doing well and I feel confident in her ability to reply to this.

Remember your information, go ahead....

Miss Crazy has been having to deal with having me be "teacher" the past month or so in food preservation safety classes through the extension office, if you are wondering what I am talking about.

What about shredded carrots? Could they be dried, just shredded, for cakes and muffins?

What about cabbage? Also, can that be dried in pieces, a bit bigger, than just shredded? We like to fry it with onion and a little butter or bacon. If it is shredded, it will just disintegrate.

Do you use the anti browning stuff for things like fruit leathers, so they don't turn so brown? Aldi's makes the best peach and strawberry applesauce, which dried just like it is, makes the best fruit leathers/roll-ups.

Thanks PROS!

Miss Crazy, where are you ??

Yes, you blanch veggies first. It retards the enzymes that cause spoilage and deterioration.

Not all things need blanching, but carrots do for sure. They are good shredded for muffins, etc. They are good sliced for soups, too. Cabbage should be done in shreds 1/8 inch thick. Broccoli is also blanched.

This is the best link to a free online booklet. Same one we sell. You can print it out if you like.

http://info.ag.uidaho.edu/Resources/PDFs/PNW0397.pdf

It will help you all out with your drying.

Okay, I have been drying potatoe slices after dipping them in lemon juice to prevent darkening. I did not blanche them first. Should I have? If I use these that I didn't blanche first soon, will they be ok?

How long should I be blanching potatoe slices?

I'm here - I'm here!

I'm sorry I went MIA. I've had to deal with a crisis with a close friend that has been rather consuming for a few DAYS. I also lost this thread somewhere in cyberspace...Sorry to make everyone wait!

Lady Violet, I'm so glad you included that book in .pdf. Now I have it in two sources!

Blanching helps to stop enzymes that will age the veggies and keep them from browning, deteriorating, becoming bitter, or developing 'off' flavors as they dry.

I wish my mom would have blanched her dried veggies - I might have actually eaten them as a kid!

I would think that slicing the potatoes with a 'mandolin' slicer (be sure to use the safety guard!) would be a good size - either for 'chips' or 'strings'. I've not dried potatoes yet, but it is on my list of things for the summer to make some dried veggies for soup.

After you blanch, I would also soak the cut potatoes in the concentrated lemon juice or fruit fresh, to keep them from browning while they're drying.

I am sorry about your friend, Miss Crazy. (Reminds me of Driving Miss Daisy !) Thank you for your good post ! You are doing well at this !

I am glad you liked the PDF file, too. I refer to it often.

So far I have not dried potatoes, but I should do them, too. I don't take advantage of my dehydrators as much as I should.

I think I will dry some carrots this year. I really am not fond of the canned ones, too soft for my taste. I liked the dried ones, though.

Many people also say they really like dehydrated green beans.

Archived