MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

HELP !!! I overbought on rice

Campy

I need "A BUNCH" of recipes for using rice.

It is just my wife and I.

I was checking the preps to see what else we needed for 1 years worth of preps and realized we have 150 lbs of white rice. I found a bucket behind some other stuff that I didn't realize we had.

I have available to put in the rice the following:

Beef & chicken boulion

freeze dried diced & ground beef

freeze dried diced chicken

tomato powder (neither of us are real big on tomato base recipes though - I have it primarily to make spaghetti sauce)

freeze dried peas

freeze dried corn

dehydrated broccoli

dehydrated celery

salt

pepper

cinnamon

garlic powder

onion powder

oregano

italian seasoning

Thanks

Stew with rice as a base instead of potatoes

Chicken and rice (and you can add veggies and broth)

A lot of casserole recipes you can sub cooked rice for the cooked potatoes.

Grind it and use it in bread

Rice pudding for breakfast or dessert

Rice and beans can be made with just about any bean and various spices-ham, rice and cornbread, rice, pinto beans with mexican spices, cajun style, etc with or without meat

If you have a like minded friend nearby, see if you can trade for something else.

Mo7

wave Many a time, I cook extra rice when I make a meal, or whenever I have extra rice after we have eaten I put it in a ziplock bag or covered bowl. Then the next night or so I will take it out and saute (spelling?), onion in butter and put the rice in the mixture and fry the onion rice and butter. That is a dish my MIL use to make and I loved her fried rice.

rice pudding

Rice pancakes

Also rice can be used like you use bread crumbs in stuffings. It's a little different, but works well.

I make rice stuffing with craisins, celery, onion and sage...

Gee, not sure you can EVER have too much Rice. That said, one of our favorite ways is to take 1 cup rice, 1 can cream of Mushroom soup (undiluted) 1 can Consomme (undiluted) - you can use your buollion (sp?) anyhow, mix it up, put in greased casserole, cover with lid or foil - bake at 350 for one hour and fifteen minutes and serve - it is soooo good - we like it with Stuffed Green Peppers and Mexi Corn.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and links to the recipes. I don't feel quite as bad now (I was having dreams of rice 3 times a day, 7 days a week ewww )

Archived