MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

canning question

cap

Has anyone tried using a pressure canner on a gas outdoor grill?

If you have, please let me know how it went.

Thanks for your help

cap

I've never used a gas grill for canning. However, I don't see why it wouldn't work, provided you have enough fuel and can keep the heat regulated correctly.

Hopefully, someone that's tried that method will answer. smile

The main problem I forsee with the gas grill canning is keeping the heat steady to keep pressure. Folks around here who have tried pressure canning outside have difficulty with that unless they have a wind barrier around the heat source. If your grill is in a sheltered area it might work just fine. I haven't tried this, but I have canned on a camp stove right in an orchard, but we were down the hill, using part of an old shed as a breeze shelter and I was doing water bath canning. (We had traveled far to the orchard, didn't live in the area and were on vacation but I had wanted to bring home peaches from my old home so we brought gallons of water, canning gear, and everything needed and canned those babies right there...much to the amazement of the orchard owners who gave permission because they wanted to see this! They wound up pitching in with bringing us more water because their customers gathered to watch the whole process. Nothing like an impromptu canning event! I put people to work helping pit the peaches. Had I lived there, they would have given me a job doing this they said. sigh..woulda been fun)

I read about this recently. It's possible, but you'll need something to sheild your canner from breezes. Those breezes will quickly pull heat away from the canner and drop your pressure. The article said that it's easier to maintain a consistent pressure when you can indoors, but that with practice, outdoor canning works.

I use my propane burner for canning outside... I do have my burner on a covered porch. Usually there isn't a breeze it is just hot! which is why I am canning outside.

I am using a single burner used for deep frying a turkey. I think it is 56,000 btu may be higher. I originally bought it to set a 15 gallon cast iron caldron (bean pot) to dunk turkeys or geese in when plucking. It worked so good for that... I use it for my Mama Bear Canner! (darlene has the Papa Bear Canner)

• 2 weeks later...

I tried pressure canning on a propane stove for the first time today. I did learn the importance of a wind shelter. The flame kept getting blown out!!

In reading my pressure canner instructions, it said not to use it on a stove that has more than 12,000 btu. My camp chef has 30,000 btu. I would love reassuring ideas of how to make this work.

I wanted to turn it high enough to build the steam pressure, but I didn't want to damage the canner, or make it explode:)

I had a frustrating day, but I'm determined to keep at it.

Any ideas? Thanks!!!

Copperhill, does your camp stove have more than one burner? If you are just using one burner, it is not putting out the max btu..and you should be okay. I haven't pressure canned on a camp stove, just water bathed. It took a while to get it boiling, but did fine once it got going.

Copperhill, Yes BTU's are often used to describe the power of the whole unit. Stands to reason if you have all the burners going, you're at maximum power. I just went and checked some propane camp stoves online and one of them that is a two-burner 30,000 BTU says that is 15,000 BTU each burner...so yeah. I think it's safe to say that yours is 10,000 each burner.

At my old house I had a commerical stove that had a burner with 18000btu's that I used all the time to can on. I never had a problem with that and in fact, am presently looking for a gas stove with high btu's again.

Archived