MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

pints! What am I doing wrong???

TXQFMom

I used wide mouth last time... NO problem....

ran out of them so tried regular pints... they were falling all over! It took forever to get them to STAND UP!!!

What did I do wrong??????????

I KNEW I HATED regular mouth! LOL

elsewhere I was told it was because their bottoms are smaller and they are trying to float... reduce the water to below the neck... but... I am a *rule follower* LOL so nope it says water should cover by 1-2"

My older dd got quite the laugh over me though... she says I threw a tantrum just like a 2yo... complete with stamping my feet!

I switched back to WIDE mouth after using up that case!

I'm assuming we're talking about water bath canning... wink

Do you have the canning rack to set the jars into before lowering it into the water? I suspend it over the water until I have it full (helps keep them hot, though I'm working quickly anyway), then lower them all together. No problems that way.

bb-waterbathcanner.jpg

Cat, I've found that rack is too big for pint sized jars -- they don't stay upright in it.

Darlene -- so is it okay for the jars to be that close to each other -- as long as there's like a centimeter between each jar?

yes canning rack

yes suspending (just learned THAT the night before blush)

putting them in across from each other to keep it balanced

They still fell BADLY... and without 1 in the middle did not think to use an empty thanks! When I lowered they all leaned in...

just passing through....

If you fill the empty space with an empty jar *shrug* but if you put distilled water in the jar!

canning distilled water is a good thing... it can be stored forever! regular water can't be stored but a year or so.

now you have emergency water... distilled water is sterile.. besides drinking or cooking... this water can be used to flush a wound! consider it part of your med. kit.

Archived