MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Please somebody hold my hand.....

TXQFMom

tomatoes

I must can them tomorrow. Dh is picking up the lemon juice tonight that I asked for 2+ wks ago...

OK I just want to can them... no sauce no salsa... just canned tomatoes...

The National Center for Food Preservation still says you can water bath can tomatoes... is this still truly safe?

My friend who was going to come over and walk me through using Maggie (my pressure canner) is unavailable due to a huge number of issues....

I am truly intimidated.... and frankly a bit overwhelmed at the moment... but the tomatoes are ready so...

tonight I start peeling tomatoes! tomorrow I will start canning. While in the WB, I will be peeling more tomatoes!

at 50 cents a pound, I filled the cart!

Preserving tomatoes by water bath is fine, although I've always pressure canned them...personal preference.

You're going to do fine and I'm really excited for you. Let us know if you have any questions, and I'll pm you my phone number so you can call if you need any help.

I am going to start with water bath... but I reserve the right to break out Maggie

Can't find my ball blue book! BUT I can refer to my dd's (Christmas gift in my rm)and will for a reminder of headspace diagram.

National Center for Food Preservation page open.

Want to try crushed (formerly called quartered tomatoes).... that is the form of tomatoes we use the most...

I have lemon juice, canning salt, new cutting board & wooden spoons, jars, lids, rings, etc...

spent the evening reading Maggie's instruction book and Preserving the Harvest...

OK got em peeled.. easier than I expected...

dh ran home early on and rescued a crying baby as dd & I were both up to our elbows in tomatoes and next 2 oldest were down milking...

he had decided *I* would be unlikely to eat while canning and brought me a burger... LOL "my hero!" cloud9

OK 7 qts in canner!!!!!! canningdancing

It looks like 7-9qts left to go... surprised 2 full buckets only yielded 2 canners... told dd I need 2-3 rounds like this a week!

2nd batch in canner

OK question... about head space... what do you do? can you do if the last jar is 1/4-1/2" short.....?????

I put it in the center to can while I asked.... lol figuring worst case it goes in the bean soup I am making this week..

Just eat that one first! It's not that short. I'm also in the middle of tomato canning and I keep some tomato juice or sauce in the fridge to help make up the difference when I'm a bit short (I do heat it up though). Good luck!

Archived