MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Green tomato salsa??

TXQFMom

From the National Center for Home Food Preservation;

Quote:
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/usda...an_guide_03.pdf

General

Quality: Select only disease-free, preferably vine-ripened, firm fruit for canning. Caution: Do not can tomatoes from dead or frost-killed vines. Green tomatoes are more acidic than ripened fruit and can be canned safely with any of the following recommendations...

TOMATOES

The type of tomato you use often affects the quality of salsas. Paste tomatoes, such as Roma, have firmer flesh and produce thicker salsas than large slicing tomatoes. Although both types make good salsas, slicing tomatoes usually yield a thinner, more watery salsa than paste tomatoes. Salsa can be thickened by adding tomato paste.

Canning is not a good way to use overripe or spoiling tomatoes. Use only high quality tomatoes for canning salsa or any other tomato product. Do not use tomatoes from dead or frost-killed vines. Poor quality or overripe tomatoes will yield a very poor salsa and may spoil.

Where recipes call for peeled or skinned tomatoes, remove the skin by dipping tomatoes into boiling water for 30-60 seconds or until skins split. Dip in cold water, then slip off skins and remove cores and seeds. You may substitute green tomatoes or tomatillos for tomatoes in any of these recipes.

There’s a tomatillo salsa in the Ball Blue Book.

Tomatillo Salsa

Yield: about 2 pints

5 1/2 cups chopped, cored husked tomatillos (about 2 pounds)

1 cup chopped onion

1 cup chopped green chili peppers

4 cloves garlic, minced

2 tablespoons minced cilantro

2 teaspoons cumin

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon red pepper

1/2 cup vinegar

1/4 cup lime juice

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepot. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.

Ladle hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust two piece caps. Process 15 minutes in a boiling water canner.

Note: When cutting or seeding hot peppers, wear rubber gloves to prevent hands from being burned.

The NCFHFP also has a Tomatillo Green Salsa, in which it is stated that green tomatoes may be substituted for the tomatillos.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_salsa/tom...reen_salsa.html

Tomatillo Green Salsa

5 cups chopped tomatillos

1-½ cups seeded, chopped long green chiles

½ cup seeded, finely chopped jalapeño peppers

4 cups chopped onions

1 cup bottled lemon or lime juice

6 cloves garlic, finely chopped

1 tablespoon ground cumin (optional)

3 tablespoons dried oregano leaves (optional)

1 tablespoon salt

1 teaspoon black pepper

Yield: About 5 pints

Please read Using Boiling Water Canners before beginning. If this is your first time canning, it is recommended that you read Principles of Home Canning.

Procedure:

Caution: Wear plastic or rubber gloves and do not touch your face while handling or cutting hot peppers. If you do not wear gloves, wash hands thoroughly with soap and water before touching your face or eyes.

Preparing Tomatillos: Remove the dry outer husks from tomatillos; wash thoroughly. They do not need to be peeled or seeded.

Preparing Peppers: The skin of long green chiles may be tough and can be removed by heating the peppers. Usually when peppers are finely chopped, they do not need to be skinned. If you choose to peel chiles, slit each pepper along the side to allow steam to escape. Peel using one of these two methods:

Oven or broiler method to blister skins - Place chiles in a hot oven (400°F) or broiler for 6 to 8 minutes until skins blister.

Range-top method to blister skins - Cover hot burner (either gas or electric) with heavy wire mesh. Place peppers on burner for several minutes until skins blister.

To peel, after blistering skins, place peppers in a pan and cover with a damp cloth. (This will make peeling the peppers easier.) Cool several minutes; slip off skins. Discard seeds and chop.

The jalapeño peppers do not need to be peeled, but seeds are often removed.

Hot Pack: Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and stir frequently over high heat until mixture begins to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 2O minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle hot into clean, hot pint jars, leaving ½-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if needed. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened, clean paper towel; apply two-piece metal canning lids. Process in a boiling water canner according to the recommendations in Table 1.

Table 1. Recommended process time for Tomatillo Green Salsa in a boiling-water canner.

Process Time at Altitudes of

Style of Pack Hot

Jar Size Pints

0 - 1,000 ft / 15 minutes

1,001 - 6,000 ft / 20 minutes

Above 6,000 ft / 25 minutes

Note: You may use green tomatoes in this recipe instead of tomatillos.

IMPORTANT:

The only other change you can safely make in this salsa recipe is to change the amount of spices and herbs. Do not alter the proportions of vegetables to acid and tomatoes because it might make the salsa unsafe. Do not substitute vinegar for the lemon juice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adapted with permission from Salsa Recipes for Canning, PNW0395, by Val Hillers and Richard Dougherty, Washington State University. Pullman, WA: Pacific Northwest Extension Publications, 2000 revision. (National Center for Home Food Preservation, August 2004)

There’s a recipe for salsa verde in the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving:

Salsa Verde

Makes about six 8-ounce jars or three pint jars

7 cups chopped cored peeled green tomatoes

5 to 10 jalapeño, habanero or Scotch bonnet peppers, seeded and finely chopped

2 cups finely chopped red onions

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

1/2 cup lime juice

1/2 cup loosely packed finely chopped cilantro

2 teaspoon cumin

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1. Prepare canner, jars and lids.

2. In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic and lime juice. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in cilantro, cumin, oregano, salt and black pepper. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

3. Ladle hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/2” headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot salsa. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar, Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase until fingertip-tight.

4. Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil and process both 8 ounce and pint jars for 20 minutes. Remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars, cool and store.

Tips:

Use a variety of hot peppers to regulate the heat in salsa. Habanero and Scotch bonnet peppers are among the hottest chilies. Jalapeños are much milder. If you don’t mind heat, you can leave the seeds and veins in the peppers.

Homemade salsa tend to be runnier than commercial salsas. If you wish to have a chunkier salsa, drain off the excess juice before serving. This juice is a wonderful addition to stews, soups or salad dressings.

From the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving: (under the Salsa Verde recipe)

Mini Spuds

For a delicious appetizer, halve cooked mini potaoes and remove some of the potato to create a shell. Set shells aside and mash the potato with shredded cheese and salsa to taste. Return mixture to shells. Top with extra cheese, if desired, and heat in oven or microwave until cheese melts. (This also works with baked potatoes as a main course dish.)

We have only used the National Center recipe. Really good. Wonderful to open a jar of canned beef, mix with the green salsa, heat, and serve for burritos. One of my favorite ways to use it.

Never tried it on a baked potato. Hmm, may have to do that.

I am sure the Ball recipe is good, too. The lime juice would be nice.

OK I made...

There’s a recipe for salsa verde in the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving:

Salsa Verde

supposed to make 3 pints... I doubled it, but measured very carefully.

It filled 7 pints! And there was likely enough for an 8th.... but instead I added the misc leftover goodies I had to use fresh tonight, BUT we will no way come close to eating it tonight and tortillas & chips are $$$

I know I can't can it because the added ingredients were not the proper ratios and such... can one freeze this?? Or should I just plan to throw the leftovers into soup this week?

BTW - the dc loved it! It was actually good!

And all my tomato vines are now pulled out...cry cry...

• 1 month later...

Well....I have 12 boxes of GREEN tomatoes. Ten, are Romas, so I am letting them ripen. The other two, I am canning into green tomato salsa and Salsa Verde.

Do you need to peel the green tomatoes for these recipes?? I saw, if you were using tomatillas, you didn't need to peel, so was wondering about the green tomatoes.

• 11 months later...

Archived