MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

is this what i want in a pressure canner?

kathy003

This is for all you experienced canners. My husband and I went shopping for my canner today, except all we found were pressure cookers, from what I have read, they are not the same. I really want the dial gauge and not the weighted gauge. Here is the link

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2625289

All they had in stock were what the sales person called a canner, but it didn't have any gauge on it at all, so I didn't think that's what i would want.

Thank you so much for helping out.

I'm certainly not among the most experienced... but, I prefer the weighted because, it doesn't have to be tested yearly? I think it is and plus, I figure it would work in a long term crisis situation.

What I mean is what my grandpa told me years ago when I was buying a new car and wanted electric windows, and etc... He said, the more gadgets you get, the more chances something will break and have to be fixed.

smile

Kathy, I think a number of the ladies here have pressure canners with both weighted and dial. They are much more 'learned than me' so wait to see what they have to say. You are going to LOVE canning, it is so fun!

I've only really started and it's been a great success. I started, unlike most people, with mostly meats. Have fun!

get a weighted gauge. Don't get a dial gauge. the link is a nice canner.

if one wal-mart doesn't have one, check another if you can. Have walmart call around.

I have an all american and a ..a.. scratching head.. can't remember it has a marman clamp.. really old! it is a dial gauge and it takes a bit to get it regulated. It is my peewee canner. I say this because I don't own a mirror or presto.

check ebay!

hurry and get one!

Kathy, the canner you linked to is a dial gauge canner...you will process your foods according to what the dial registers. The dial is what you have to have checked once a year so that you can be assured that you are processing your foods safely.

A weighted gauge canner most times has a dial too, but the processing is done according to the weight, and the dial is just a visual reference point.

If you buy the one with the dial it needs to be tested before you use it. New gauges can and often are off by as much as 4 lb. right out of the box. Then, you get them tested yearly.

I test gauges and I still recently converted my canners, just like the one in your post, to a weighted gauge canner. It is so convenient just to listen to it rattle away and not have to watch the dial the whole time. Plus, the weights will self vent and keep the canner at the right pressure. If you have the dial, then you have to adjust your stove to keep the pressure right the whole time.

The only ones that come with both are the All American. Presto is normally dial, but they do have a smaller weighted one at Walmart this year.

Then, Mirro is just a weight, no dial.

I hope this helps you.

Then, you have to decide if you want a rubber gasket or not. The All American are the only ones with a metal to metal seal. It has large bolts all around it that you fasten down.

The Mirro and Presto have rubber gaskets. I have only replaced mine once in about 30 years, so they do last a long time.

I can't lift the All American as they are too heavy for my back. I stick with my Presto's. So, that is my suggestion, too. Get either a weighted gauge or one you can use either/both ways.

If you want more info on turning the Presto into a weighted gauge, then let me know. I will be happy to help you out.

Too bad you didn't live closer as I have a Presto 23 quart one I want to sell. Shipping across the country costs about $30, though.

Where do you get the dial ones gauged at? Also, what does it take to convert one from a dial to a weighted gauge (if I read that right). I would love a weighted gauge, but the All American is a little out of my price range right now.

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it.

Kathy, don't get discourage with figuring it all out.

Basically, everyone is saying to stay away from the "dial" guages. Just think of the dial on a scale you weigh on...or similar to a clock face.. These are the ones that have to be regulated and tested yearly.

Have a look at this one I found at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Mirro-Pressure-Coo...21132596&sr=1-7

Apparently, according to the reviews, this is what you are looking for. One reviewer said they had a really hard time locating the "jiggling" guage, they are referring to the weighted guage as it 'jiggles' while it is processing under pressure.

Look at this picture at the very top of this page and you'll see the silver round weighted guage I'm referring to, it's the 'jiggler' and what I use.

http://www.cookingandcanning.net/miprrej.html

And here's one more at Amazon that you might want to check out,

http://www.amazon.com/Mirro-Pressure-Coo...1133040&sr=1-10

Hope this helps.

My canner has both a weight and a dial. But I also have second canner with just the weight. They both get a lot of use, LOL I like them both equally well. I do take the one with the dial to be checked, though. (I send it with my neighbor, who works out of the County Extension office in exchange for a few jars of my Italian sauce, LOL)

If you want to get the Presto and want to get the three piece weight set, you can order online for approx. $10 to $15. It is part number 50332. They are easily found online. Here even some hardware stores have them for $10. You leave the dial gauge on, but in place of the "counterweight" that comes with the canner, you buy the three piece weight set and use the one for your altitude. Then, it just jiggles away while it is canning. You can listen to it as you go about doing other things in the kitchen.

I suggest the Presto just because the new gaskets seem easier to find than the ones for the Mirro. At least they are here.

The canners cost about the same.

Either one is fine, though.

To get the gauge tested you take to your county extension office, but not all offices test them. That is why I suggested using the weights instead. Then you never have to get it tested.

I like having the weight and dial myself. As said, the weight gives audiblee monitoring, so I can continue to work around kitchen/house, and the dial gives something easy to see when I walk in. Since mine only is jiggline 1-4 times every minute, the visual check is nice too so I don't have to stand there for 60 seconds to make sure it's sitll hot enough.

Archived