MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Please be careful canning

brendajo

I always have my jars boiling in my waterbath canner while I am preparing my food to can.Yesterday I was canning pears. As I was removing the last jar from the boiling water it slipped from the lifter or I slipped or something,I am not sure what happened to be honest but I now have second and third degree burns from my elbow to my fingers.I just want to remind everyone to please be careful.Boutulism is not the only thing we have to worry about when canning.By the way,I did finish canning my pears before I went to the hospital.

sorry to hear of your 'ouchie' wink

But now would be a good time to remind people...

* ALWAY lift the lid away from you so the steam will not get in your face.

* And we alway use one hand to lift jars out and a potholder in the other hand under the jar as we carry it over to the table.

* watch out for water on the floor by the stove (it happens) so you don't slip and fall while you mind is on canning and not on walking.

now let all go out there and have some fun canning up a storm this weekend. wink

Thanks so much for the prayers and well wishes they mean so much.I will have to keep it bandaged for at least another week.The most frustrating thing is I can't can anything until then.This has taught me that no matter how many times I have done this before not to get careless.I have strawberries and chicken in the freezer just waiting on me.My DD says I am hopeless.

Archived