MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Without canning lids???

Starmom

DH has asked me to ask all of you canning gurus what else might be used if there were ever a time when we could not purchase canning lids?? Could we use a thin piece of rubber under a metal disc to create the seal? We just see the lids as being a weak link in the equation....

In a SHTF scenario, I would not be adverse to re-using sealing lids I had used in the past. In doing that, I would be taking a risk that the jars would not seal properly, but if this country had gotten that bad, I'd be willing to at least try.

OK, most people would not say any of this is save, but since you are talking about not having lids in a crisis situation, I thought I could post this.

I have reused canning lids. I also reuse jars/lids that have a rubber seal in them, like might be on a p butter jar that comes with a metal lid.

With regualr canning lids they need to be removed carefully so you can reuse them. I bring the lids to a boil for about 1 min. There is a greater failure rate, true, but if you don't have another option, the rate isn't all that bad. They do seem to have less of a failure to seal if the product has a longer processing time. For some reason the only thing I processed in this way that had major seal failure was salsa. They were OK at first, but as the winter progressed I found more jars that had popped thier seals.

just my 2 cents

I have heard of certain resourceful women here doing just that in hard times -- reusing lids. If you find those instructions for doing this, will you post here, or on the Edge? thanks so much --

victoria

Starmom, lids have a shelf life.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/5000/5338.html

Quote:
… Lids

The common self-sealing lid consists of a flat metal lid held in place by a metal screw band, which secures the jar shut during processing. The flat lid is crimped around the circumference of its bottom surface to form a trough, which is filled with a colored gasket compound. When jars are processed, the lid gasket softens and flows slightly to cover the jar-sealing surface, yet allows air to escape from the jar. The gasket then forms an airtight seal as the jar cools. The shelf life of unused lids is about 5 years from date of manufacture. The gasket compound in older unused lids may fail to seal on jars. Buy only the quantity of lids you will use in one year.

To ensure a good seal, carefully follow the manufacturer's directions in preparing lids for use. Examine all metal lids carefully. Do not use old, previously used, dented, or deformed lids, or lids with gaps or other defects in the sealing gasket…

Some of us will just have to stop buying toilet paper so we can afford the canning lids. That's all. We'll just have to make choices.

If the whole world falls apart and there are no canning lid manufacturers left, that's ok too. At least with me. I'm asking the Father if I can be one of the first on the Bus to Home in that case.

I've acquired a lot of lids from estate sales in the past which were a lot older than 5 years. Most were good but some just cracked and fell away. A lot depends on where and how they were stored.

The failure rate of reused flats is quite high as evidenced from a massive shortage that occurred in 1974 I believe, causing people to reuse lids. Cases of Botulism and food poisoning increased dramatically. I don't recommend reusing them. I put my label on the lid as a reminder to toss it when I'm done with it.

I used to use used lids for FoodSaver storage, but now that Ball has the plastic lids that's all I use.

I found the info on how to re-use them. Broil them with 1 Tbs baking soda in the water. Make sure they're flat or they won't seal, though.

I wouldn't do it except perhaps to store water or in a TSHTF scenario where more weren't available. But since someone asked me to post it, there it is.

Archived