MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

"Healthy" cake recipe anyone??

Help!!

My son is signed up to bring goodies for his Halloween party at school. His teacher just called and told me that they would only allow "healthy' treats. He has his little heart set on Mom making him a fully decorated 'mummy' cake...

Can anyone come up with a recipe that qualifies as healthy? I usually substitute apple sauce for some of the oil and use cream cheese in place of butter in my frosting, but I think the goal of the school is to cut the sugar intake for the party.

Eating well's Died-and-went-heave Chocolate Cake:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/heaven_chocolate_cake.html

This foolproof cake is one of our most popular recipes. Dutch-process cocoa is preferred here for its deep chocolate flavor.

Makes 16 Servings

ACTIVE TIME: 20 minutes

TOTAL TIME: 1 1/4 hours

EASE OF PREPARATION: Moderate

Cake

1 3/4 cups all-purpose white flour

1 cup white sugar

3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 1/4 cups buttermilk

1 cup packed light brown sugar

2 large eggs, lightly beaten

1/4 cup canola oil

2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 cup hot strong black coffee

Icing

1 cup confectioners' sugar

1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1-2 tablespoons buttermilk or low-fat milk

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 12-cup Bundt pan or coat it with nonstick cooking spray. Dust the pan with flour, invert and shake out the excess.

2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, white sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add buttermilk, brown sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes. Whisk in hot coffee until completely incorporated. (The batter will be quite thin.)

3. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes; remove from the pan and let cool completely.

4. To make icing: In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough of the buttermilk or milk to make a thick but pourable icing. Set the cake on a serving plate and drizzle the icing over the top.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 222 calories; 4 g fat (1 g saturated); 27 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrate; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 274 mg sodium; 124 mg potassium.

3 Carbohydrate Servings

ADVERTISEMENT

dotted line

Advanced Healthy Recipes Search

Today's Featured Recipes

100 + Healthy Recipes Collections

EatingWell Homepage: News, Recipes, Health

EatingWell's BEST Menu Ideas

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe-Tools/Print...s=false&psize=2

Sugar Free Cake

Submitted by: POLACKLADY

Rated: 4 out of 5 by 15 members Yields: 12 servings

"Really good with the added plus of being sugar free."

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups raisins

3 cups water

2 eggs

3 tablespoons liquid

sweetener

3/4 cup vegetable oil

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 teaspoons ground

cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground

nutmeg

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup chopped walnuts

1 cup unsweetened

applesauce

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour one 10 inch bundt or tube pan.

2. In a saucepan combine raisins with water and cook until the water is absorbed, cool.

3. Combine eggs, applesauce, vegetable oil, vanilla, and liquid sweetener. Mix well. Sift flour, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg into egg mixture. Stir until just combined. Mix in raisins and chopped nuts. Pour batter into prepared pan.

4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for one hour.

Nutrition Info (per serving)

Calories 375 (49% from fat) | Protein 5.6g | Fat 21.5g (sat 2.7g) | Carbohydrate 43.1g | Fiber 2.6g | Cholesterol 35mg | Iron 2mg | Sodium 220mg | Calcium 36mg

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2008 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 10/22/2008

If it can't be sweets at all, try the Hormel site. There are some recipes there for Halloween goodies.

http://www.hormelfoodsrecipes.com/Tips/halloweenrecipes.aspx

http://www.hormelfoodsrecipes.com/ViewImage.aspx?ImgId=1897

here is the perfect recipe!!!

make the cake your son wants with your recipe! tell the teacher it is a healthy recipe!

you see it isn't a lie! say this "You don't believe for one minute that *I* would let my son eat something unhealthy!?!"

and leave it at that!

you could always have a couple of cans of canned spinach and a can opener... ask her which one she wanted to eat?!

I'm gonna take a wild guess, and assume "healthy" treats don't include cake. lol

I'd make the mummy cake for him to keep at home, since his heart is set on it, and send something traditionally "healthy" to school.

A plate of veggies with hummus comes to mind. You could decorate the bowl of hummus to reflect the Halloween theme.

Or, whole wheat crackers and a decorated cheese ball.

Or, decorated fruit.

I'm just hungry, 'cause it's almost lunch time, and cake doesn't sound good right now. lol

Archived