MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Should I be vaccinated?

Teaberry

I know this is a touchy subject, but I would really appreciate hearing all viewpoints on this. I was never vaccinated as a kid.

Lately, I've been reading more and more about illegal aliens bringing diseases in. Some people are saying that these diseases pose a threat for those who have never been vaccinated.

Also, if society breaks down and medical access becomes a problem, I want to be prepared ahead of time for whatever may arise. As an example, I know that some people are having wisdom teeth pulled now, just in case they don't have the resources later.

Through the years all I've had are tetanus, which I do keep updated with boosters. Recently, I went ahead and had the DPT, since it's hard just to get a tetanus by itself.

I did it, but I'm not even sure if getting vaccines as an adult will do me much good. The reason I say that is I've noticed that young kids today get lots and lots of shots. I wonder if I will have much immunity (if I go ahead and get shots now), since I didn't get a whole bunch of shots when I was younger.

Also, I've heard some doctors say that by the time someone has reached adulthood, they've likely already been exposed to some diseases (like polio) so they now have immunity.

???

Part of the reason I chose not to have shots once I grew up is because I suspect vaccination programs are profitable for the medical community. I can't decide if money motivates them, or if the wellbeing of society does. (Did I say I don't trust doctors?) sassing

I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and get the polio shot. What other diseases can adults get?

Whether or not I get shots is my personal decision. I won't hold anyone accountable here if anything goes wrong with my decision (of course!) But I would appreciate counsel from others here on both sides of the issue.

I don't know if this will answer your question, but this is my thoughts on it.

Adults can get a variety of illnesses. Some of them can reoccur (measles is an example). As you were growing up you have encountered a variety of illnesses that your body has built up immunities to.

While vaccinations MAY be advantageous with some illnesses, you need to look at "what are my chances of getting this illness".

If you will be traveling out of the country, especially to countries with high poverty rates (poor health conditions), I would strongly recommend the vaccinations. I also strongly recommend a periodic tetanus shot since the body does not typically retain antibodies for this over exceptionally long periods.

The ONE VACCINATION I will NEVER get is for the flu. This vaccination is just a GUESS. Doctors guess at what version of the flu will be around NEXT YEAR and create a vaccine for it (it takes about 9 months to create a flu vaccine). Even if they guess correctly, the flu vaccine is a painful shot (the injection site is very sore - soreness ranges from a couple of days to weeks depending on the individual) and, at best, is only a 50/50 chance of REDUCING THE SEVERITY/SYMPTOMS. SOME doctors will tell you to treat the flu as a severe cold, BUT, if it does not ease off/clear up within a week to go to the hospital.

I hope these thoughts on the subject are of some help.

Being diabetic I always get a flu shot. I also got a pnuemonia shot. Next I am getting a shingles vaccine. If I can avoid getting sick, I am !

If I get even a common cold it can land me in the hospital. My blood sugar goes out of control if I am sick.

I wish people would not only think of themselves when they are sick, but stay home and quit spreading the germs. I honestly cringe in the stores when people are hacking away.

So, if you also have friends or loved ones, please do this not only for yourself, but for them. Little babies can die if they get RSV. Cancer patients can die, too, from getting ill.

Just my 2 cents worth and a different view.

Okay here I go with this. I've been debating this myself for ds. I vaxed dd but by the time I had ds I was suspiscious. He got the hep b in the hospital and hasn't had one since, partially b/c he got sick at 2 mos and I decided to wait til 6 months, then he got sick again. I took it as a sign from God since I was still unsure whether to do it and didn't. But here's some info:

Here's the adult vax schedule from CDC to help you decide what you may need if you do it:

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/pdf/wk/mm5641-Immunization.pdf

CDC's info on vaccine preventable diseases in adults:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/adult-vpd.htm

I know sometimes you can become immune to diseases without actually catching them if you've been exposed to them. If you ever had chicken pox, measles, etc as a child you are mostly likely immune for life (and better than if you'd had the vax). Ask your doctor about getting a bloodtest done to check immunity and find out which ones you will need if you do it.

Various vax info sites:

http://www.909shot.com/

http://www.whale.to/

http://www.vaccinetruth.org/

http://thinktwice.com/

http://www.vaclib.org/

Just check on the diseases and vax info to decide what you think is best.

Did you know that the flu is the 6th or 7th top killer of people, behind heart disease, strokes, and respiratory disease?

Most people don't think it is serious, yet my oldest DS was PARALYZED when the flu attacked his spinal cord instead of settling in his lungs, like it does for most people. While the flu usually does go for the lungs, it really can attack anywhere. I have known YOUNG people who needed heart transplants because the flu attacked the heart. Most of them died waiting on a heart...

I believe some vaccines are necessary and some are moneymakers for the drug companies. The one I refuse to get is the HPV (for my daughter)...I don't think it's been tested enough and it only is effective against some of the strains. I don't think Varivax (for chicken pox) was necessary...I'm concerned about it losing effectiveness after 10-20 years, catching chicken pox as an adult can be lethal, I've seen it kill a young man in his 20's. I'm also not in favor of the Hep B shot for everyone...unless you work in healthcare or other job where chances of blood exposure are high (or you're a junkie and like to share needles) I see great benefit in all the rest, including the flu shot.

We do not vaccinate, primarily for religious reasons. We also look at risk versus benefit. All vaccines carry risk. People have become paralyzed from the flu vaccine.

Some vaccines come from aborted fetal cell lines. I'm not comfortable with that. I am pro-life. I'm a Christian. I cannot and will not support abortion, regardless of the "potential benefit."

If you haven't been vaccinated, I would suspect that your immunity is very high as your immune system has been challenged over the years. If I were you, I'd find somewhere to get titred to see what you are immune to before I started taking those vaccines. Not only are they money making (often) but they contain anything from mercury to aluminum to cancer viruses (if grown on monkey cells) - I will never be vaccinated again.

As a mercury-injured adult, I would implore you to look at the information on which vaccines are mercury free and which are not.

In addition to mercury, be aware that egg (if you have an allergy), animal DNA and aborted fetal tissue are an issue with some vaccines, and aluminum, propylene glycol (anti-freeze) antibiotics and a whole host of other chemicals you'd never drink are in every vaccine they inject into you, with no benefit of your digestive system having a chance to filter it out.

Thanks. These are all such good replies. I will check into the titer because that should give good information.

I heard the flu shot is pretty painful and the arm can be sore a long time. But I've also heard that having a flu shot can minimize the effects of Bird Flu, should it become an issue. ???

One family member gets very sick when she just gets a cold. It does a double-whammy and turns into bronchitis. She is tempted to just stay home during the months of January and February when the flu is most common.

I have to say that I am very aggravated that so many people go to work and school when they are even sick with a cold. I hate shaking hands with people, some of whom probably sneeze into their hand.

There are some people who are really set back when they get a cold from someone walking around with one like it's no big deal.

cough

I'm with you, Teaberry. I get so aggravated at people who go out while sick, because what makes them sniffle for a few days can knock me on my tail for a few weeks!

This past March I was dog sick for 6 weeks from a virus that only give other people, like my kids, a couple of mild days of sniffles.

Teaberry I have a big problem with that too. The regular seasonal flu shot often doesn't even (always) cover the actual flu bugs running around in an area. It is really hit or miss.

I dealt with the flu problem last winter and spring. People are very careless about this.

I think building up the immune system naturally is the best thing and that if we started wearing masks and sanitizing our hands in front of others maybe that would wake some folks up. I find just staying home if I can tends to help me too since I am more vulnerable....but essentially building up my immune system helps me quite a bit too.

Of course I am not required to go anywhere but I do attend mha, and last year many people came in while they were sick, including employees, but to me it seemed the healthiest were probably the ones simply with a good diet and knew how to reduce stressors.

Recently, there was an outbreak of whooping cough (1, maybe 2 cases) in our schools. My kids, who are not vaccinated (God told us not to) were told by the county health dept. to either take a powerful antibiotic (zithromax) for 10 days, whether they needed it or not, or be out of school for 21 days "just in case".

So, of course, I file this under persecution! My kids have never needed to see a docoter for illness, let alone, put antibiotics in their precious bodies. (Praise God). Long story short, we got the prescriptions filled and went to our Mennonite herb store friend for advice. She promptly walked over to a shelf, picked up a product called Natural Antibiotic and said, "If you give them this, you're not lying when you say you've given them antibiotic." So, God provided a way out of an impossible situation to fulfill a scriptural promise to be wise as serpents, and innocent as doves:?)

I guess I'm sharing that story to remind us all to stand firm when we are unsure how to handle a problem concerning our health and our bodies:?)

Archived