MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Expectorant herbs

Percysgirl

Steam inhalation (tent with a towel over a bowl of boiling water) with eucalyptus works well.

Slippery Elm and licorice also work well.

You can buy both in bulk, pre-capped bottles, and tea.

I LOVE the "Traditional Medicinal" tea line. They have a few teas I stock up on this time of year, "Throat Coat" "Chestal" and "Cough".

I've been known to drink 3 cups of tea back to back every few hours and kick the chest/head cold in a few days.

A good health food store should have them.

If you can only get the herbs of slippery elm, licorice, or even ginger root, make a tea. Add some sugar and chug it. It will work.

Also, for chest congestion, I find this works really well, but you really need someone to help you do it and a timer.

Temperature Therapy

This is a naturopathic remedy for moving chest fluid out and avoiding pneumonia.

Ideally, make a nest for yourself in a couple of wool blankets lined with a sheet....I've just done it in bed with a towel beneath me and a heavy comforter on top. You need to be warmer that you think for this to work.

You will alternate for about 45 minutes each, hot and cold cloths on your chest and back. You will need at least 4-6 kitchen towels or hand towels. It is great if you can get someone to help you, for this takes a few hours.

Start with lying on your back. Place a damp, warm cloth (warmed in the microwave or with a heating pad) on your chest (nakkeditity is essential here) and lie flat, cover with a towel and blankets. Wait until your body heat dries the towel completely, about 45 minutes.

Pull the dry cloth and place a COLD cloth, one that has been chilled or resting in an ice bath is good. Wring it out well. Cover with dry towel and lie down. Your body heat will warm this as well. Remove when dry.

Repeat with warm, then cold.

NOW, position yourself face down, on your tummy. Have someone (or if you are agile you can do it yourself) place the warm towel first on your back. Repeat as above, alternating warm, cold, warm, cold.

It is normal to feel drowsy as this happens. That is good. You might also feel a tickle in your throat and begin to cough. This is also good. Some cough throughout the whole ordeal and follow up with a steam inhalation treatment.

Sometimes, a few days later, you might need to repeat this treatment. If you are really congested, it is good to do this 2 or 3 times, 3 days apart.

It is time intensive, this is why people charge $70 or $80 to do it, but it is highly effective. I usually do it myself and have my DH help me if I can't get my back. This has been proven very effective in the MOST STUBBORN of chest colds and coughs.

Not an herb, but works: If you can, PG, get someone to cup her hand and clap you medium-hard all over the upper and middle back for about 30-45 seconds, at least once a day. The sound should be a hollow "thop!" Works better if you do it every few hours, but someone with heavy hands can leave you pretty sore--especially if there are any low blows in the kidney area. This mechanically breaks loose gobs of stuff you can cough out with much less effort. Your throat will thank you.

For the elderly, clap medium-light, and take care to avoid tender places where bone knobs touch the underside of the skin.

Drink lots of clear liquid. Lots of clear liquid. Lots of clear liquid. To put it bluntly, soup is easier to expel than paste, and you need lots of liquid intake to keep things from trying to solidify.

Licorice, while a great herb for congestion, can cause high blood pressure in some individuals. Use it with caution until you know. Often a short course of it won't bother but don't take chances.

Here's a couple of threads might help. The first is my own recipe for cold and flu tea.

http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthrea...true#Post120382

Here is more, all good threads worth reviewing.

http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthrea...=true#Post73325

http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthrea...true#Post111399

Hope you get some relief.

bighug

Thanks, all!

I had throat coat tea here and I've been using that and peppermint tea, but it just hasn't been enough. I've hit the point where my stomach muscles are so sore that I can't cough effectively.

I'm going to print all of this out and put it into my binder for next time.

I know this isn't an herb...but good old Robitussin or the Mucinex will work to bring some relief and results. You can get both in walmart brand at a much cheaper price. I keep these on hand for when I've gotten to your point PG.

And...once again not an herb, but a shot of Brandy will clear up a chest. I don't know why, but it does. My grandma always kept some and my mom and they told me to. I've had the same bottle for years, because we rarely use it...but when I do, it helps.

I hope you feel better soon!

Originally Posted By: Ambergris
Not an herb, but works: If you can, PG, get someone to cup her hand and clap you medium-hard all over the upper and middle back for about 30-45 seconds, at least once a day. The sound should be a hollow "thop!" Works better if you do it every few hours, but someone with heavy hands can leave you pretty sore--especially if there are any low blows in the kidney area. This mechanically breaks loose gobs of stuff you can cough out with much less effort. Your throat will thank you.

Drink lots of clear liquid. Lots of clear liquid. Lots of clear liquid. To put it bluntly, soup is easier to expel than paste, and you need lots of liquid intake to keep things from trying to solidify.

This always works for me. For the last couple of years it seems I have had a much more difficult time with congestion. One of my daughters is really good at 'beating' on my back. I know it has kept me from getting really sick and she loves to 'beat' on mom.
Drinking alot more water or hot tea reallly helps too.

b.b

Forgot to warn you about the licorice tea, sorry about that. I can take it, but something real unappetizing about the natural herbs is that they can have a particular smell or off-taste to them. Most of them taste like dirt...however I've found that licorice (at least to me) can taste like the smell of wet dog. Therefore, I don't use it very much unless I REALLY HAVE to. smile

Originally Posted By: Stephanie
And...once again not an herb, but a shot of Brandy will clear up a chest. I don't know why, but it does. My grandma always kept some and my mom and they told me to. I've had the same bottle for years, because we rarely use it...but when I do, it helps.

How much brandy is in a shot? I don't want to take too much and wind up with a hang-over. I don't drink at all, so I dont' have any tolerance.

Oh, so you're just taking the 'clearing up cure' not the Two Hat Cure so many of my husband's fine Irish family are fond of...

Bona Fide Irish Two Hat Cure

Needed:

Liquor of choice

Bedpost

Hat

Drink until you see two hats. You will soon pass out.

You will feel better than you do now in the morning.

And I would na' be passing the blarney along, to be sure, to be sure...

Originally Posted By: Crazy4Canning
Oh, so you're just taking the 'clearing up cure' not the Two Hat Cure so many of my husband's fine Irish family are fond of...

Bona Fide Irish Two Hat Cure

Needed:

Liquor of choice
Bedpost
Hat

Drink until you see two hats. You will soon pass out.
You will feel better than you do now in the morning.

And I would na' be passing the blarney along, to be sure, to be sure...

rofl

Archived