MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

next step up from a foodsaver?

Robert Z

I would LOVE to have an industrial vacuum packer but I cannot afford to dump $1k+ into one. Are there any other alternatives?

My main complaint about my food saver is sealing moist foods (meat). All of us have experienced the whole attempted seal only to have a little blood come up the bag and foil our seal, then you have to wipe the inside of the top of the bag and attempt another seal over top of the not so good one, and hit it again over top of that one just to be sure, and while you are at it seal it one more time because you know you have had 3 seals fail before.

I flash freeze meat portions before vacum sealing. For exaple, chicken breasts. I lay them out on a wax paper lined baking sheet, freeze till firm then drop them in a bag and seal. They don't stick together that way.

Alternately, put a thin cheap bag around "wet" meat before placing it in the food saver bag for sealing. I also fold up a paper towel and slide it into the food saver bag between the meat and the edge that is to be sealed, to form a barrier in case any blood is drawn up by the vacum.

Anything with potential liquid I raise the FoodSaver unit off the counter by a few inches so the bag is more vertical. This keeps the liquid less likely to travel before the sealing process begins.

Most meats I include a folded paper towel to absorb most loose blood.

Flash freezing first would also solve the problem, but I've never had to resort to that extra step yet.

• 2 weeks later...

My current unit has a reduced vacuum setting and it works pretty good, but I also keep the bag as vertical as possible so there is less inclination for the powder to make a mad dash for the exit. You also keep your finger close to the 'seal' button.

Robert, you are supposed to freeze the meats in the bag first, then seal them up.

For powdered things you normally don't need to seal them to keep them fresh. There are cansisters you can buy to go with the sealer. I sometimes find them brand new at the thrift stores for just a few dollars.

You can also use jars and seal with the lid attachment. Put a piece of wax paper in the top first.

Originally Posted By: Canned Nerd
My current unit has a reduced vacuum setting and it works pretty good, but I also keep the bag as vertical as possible so there is less inclination for the powder to make a mad dash for the exit. You also keep your finger close to the 'seal' button.

I do that also as well as compress the flour, sugar as much as possible with my hads before and while vacuuming. Seems to work pretty well.

Archived