MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Chicken fat... now what?

What Homemaker said about duck fat applies to chicken fat as well. I've read that both fats are considered to be the healthiest of all the animal fats. (I don't remember the hows and whys of that application.)

The fried chicken skins are so tasty that it is considered a named delicacy in many parts of the world...'cept here.

When I package chicken parts for the freezer, I peel the skin off of most of them and put the skins into several small plastic freezer bags. I try to make sure to squeeze all the air out of the bags to help prevent freezerburn.

Sometimes when I want a different, more robust flavor when sauteeing certain vegetables for a dish, or when I want to make a roux with a different twang, I'll fry a small package of skins to render the oil. The 'cracklings' are outrageously delicious, too!

This was a really good question and I've enjoyed the answers. I want to clarify this is mind.

So.... when I'm removing the excess fatty skin before I'm cooking, that can actually be fried out and I'll have cracklings? This is very interesting to me because one of my dh's favorite childhood foods was his grandma's crackling cornbread. I also had this as a child, but I thought crackling was the end of the bacon fried out hard...was I mixed up?

Also, the original question was about the layer of fat that is removed from the broth after cooking, right? And that can be used like a 'lard'? Is that what I'm understanding?

Originally Posted By: PureCajunSunshine
The fried chicken skins are so tasty that it is considered a named delicacy in many parts of the world...'cept here.
I'll fry a small package of skins to render the oil. The 'cracklings' are outrageously delicious, too!

Cool avatar, Josephine! Every time I see it, I hafta smile and wink back!

I LOVE crisp chicken skin. That sounds gross doesn't it? laugh Fried chicken legs and wings are some of my favorite food, and I always try and time my grocery store visits after 11:00 so that the hot bar will have them. I am very specific about getting the crunchiest ones, and often will have the deli people give me any bits that have fallen off the other pieces.

Re: the avatar, thanks I made it myself. That video was a fav of mine back in the day. heehee!
Originally Posted By: Stephanie
So.... when I'm removing the excess fatty skin before I'm cooking, that can actually be fried out and I'll have cracklings?

mmm...YEAH! Be sure to rinse the skin well, and pat dry before you cook it.

..... but I thought crackling was the end of the bacon fried out hard...was I mixed up?

'tis 'zactly the same thing, just a different critter...

Also, the original question was about the layer of fat that is removed from the broth after cooking, right? And that can be used like a 'lard'? Is that what I'm understanding?

Some folks use that, other folks prefer to render the oil by frying the skins. (I prefer the latter, because it contains no moisture (broth), and it's easier for me to strain out everything, plus it seems to work better for me for sauteeing, etc.)

The oil rendered by frying seems to stay fresh longer than the kind made by skimming the fatty layer off the top of cooled broth...it seems that minute amounts of broth seems to stick to the fat, and that's probably the culprit. It just does not keep well.

On the other hand, the fried oil stays 'fresh' for months in the refrigerator.

A note of caution...excess fats in canine diets can lead to pancreatic problems (more notably so in smaller dogs). A pancreatic attack is excruciating painful for the dog, and most heartbreaking to see and hear! This condition is becoming more prevalent, and the experts are blaming high fat diets as one of the leading causes...
Originally Posted By: Josephine
Originally Posted By: CrabGrassAcres
Use chicken or duck or goose fat to make pastry shells for your chicken potpie!

That's a good idea. Will the fat be too "soft" though?

No, it isn't too soft. Be sure to use enough salt in the dough too. Most people make their crusts too bland.
  • 3 months later...

Chicken fat is very versatile. Melt it and use like oil in pancake, bread or other recipes. Chill it in refrigerator and use in biscuits, pie crusts, etc.

In cakes it makes a tender cake, but they don't rise as high, so compensate and separate the eggs in the recipe. Beat the whites, and fold in last to make up the extra height. In baking, it works best with flavored foods, chocolate cake, cinnamon cookies, molasses anything, etc. If you want a white cake, you will detect the chickeny flavor so make a lemon one instead. Use to saute flour dredged meats for braised meat, casseroles, etc. Melt down, it makes a nice roux when mixed with flour. Use for gravies & sauces.

BTW, cracklins are from pork, but they are the crispy fibrous parts of the pork fat when the liquidly part is rendered out. Use them instead of shortening (same amount as shortening) in corn bread; also good to season a mess of snap beans.

My mom never threw out chicken fat, we ALWAYS used it in baking or cooking. I guess that comes from being born in 1930 on a farm. They threw out NOTHING. Im grateful to her for teaching me so many frugal tricks. She will probably save my life one day.

Chicken fat is big in Jewish cooking and is used in the same ways lard is/was used.

I use it to give a little extra flavor in casseroles or for frying. Pretty much the same way I use bacon grease.

Ya'll remove the skin from chicken before preparing it? :0327:

But.. but.. but... that's the nicest part of chicken. Spicy crispy yummy!

Nothing like a chicken from the grill and eating the hot knispery skin. Oh, did the anti-fat lobby have a campaign or something about removing the skin before griling chicken perhaps? I heard about that.

Chickenfat is used for everything here. Well, most fats are used, if only for the animals. Waste not, want not.

Thank you frugal tighfisted ancestors.

But it's great stuff to fry potatoes in, to fry other meat in, never tried it but after washing it it'd probably be ok for soapmaking as well.

A friend gave me two jars of canned meat, done by her MIL. Fat on top is spicy and used to fry tatters in. Delicious.

Which reminds me, when making pate you need to cover with a layer of fat as well. This'd be good use for chickenfat.

I'm a little odd when it comes to chickens. I didnt use to be. But, when my kids showed them for FFA, i turned anti chicken. I do not eat it off the bone and i dont ever eat it with the skin. I buy ready to cook boneless skinless breast. It cant look like a chicken at all. I love chicken meat, it just cant be associated with a chicken. I will occasionally buy a roasted chicken at walmart, but pick the meat off the bones and skin. I then freeze that so that i can get the carcass image out of my head. Heaven help me if i see some sort of vein or blob...

Reason, at show time, we would have a bout 50 chickens left to slaughter. Along with the kids, we formed an assembly line to process them. I got the final cleaning(yes, the easier job) So so gross, it took me forever to eat chicken again even though i had a freezer full of it. Eat or use the skin..................faints

Archived