MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Salad tip

I learned this from a chef once and thought I'd share it with those who... don't know. Ignore me if you do know this tip! One of our members mentioned eating a salad this weekend and reminded me.

How to make your salad like the ones in a restaurant:

Greens of your choice (I prefer to buy the prepackaged field green variety because I like the pretty stuff)

Whatever else you will use to assemble your salad

If you wash your leaves, spin them dry in a spinner. If you don't have one, drain the leaves in a collander for a long while, then pat them dry (gently!).

Use only "light" things for your initial salad assembly. Things like onion slices, olives, broccoli, cucumber, celery - etc are heavy and you can add those to each salad individually - or add them right at the end.

Salt and pepper your "leaves" and/or shredded carrot/cabbage, etc.

Make a nice light dressing -

I like mine to have a bit of a twang, but I'll share it...

Dressing:

3 tsp EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)

2 tsp Organic Apple Cider Vinegar

1 tsp Balsamic Vinegar

Place all of those ingredients into a shaker (I use a 20 ounce water bottle) and shake vigorously.

Drizzle the dressing over your leaf base and very gently - toss with your hands. Treat your leaves as if you are handling feathers. Do NOT use thongs. Thongs will bruise your leaves and make your salad less appealing.

Taste a leaf. Adjust your seasoning as desired.

Drop the heavier items into your bowl now or decorate each salad individually.

Your salad will be light and airy and beautiful.

**Note: Many people do not like the bitter taste of cucumber seeds. You can peel the cucumber, slice in half lengthwise. Use a spoon and scoop the inside of the cucumber out, creating a canoe like effect. Slice into half moons.

puppyinwindowsnow.gif

We love our salads, but, what gets me is that once the prepackaged lettuce mix is opened, it turns bad fast. Sometimes it is even turning pink or brown when we first open it. I always try to get the package with the longest time to use too.

HUGS37.gifHAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gif

puppyinwindowsnow.gif

We love our salads, but, what gets me is that once the prepackaged lettuce mix is opened, it turns bad fast. Sometimes it is even turning pink or brown when we first open it. I always try to get the package with the longest time to use too.

HUGS37.gifHAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gif

I read about that the other day. Someone said to pat the lettuce dry in paper towels after spinning it in a salad spinner before serving.

Your salad will be light and airy and beautiful.

Ooooohhhh. Light, airy AND beautiful?!?! Nice. Makes me hungry for salads even though I just had dinner.

I toasted my salad spinner this summer when I was making...oh what was I making??? Something I was canning. I miss it. I really want to get an Oxo - both the small and large one.

Violet has both sizes and they work beautifully. :P

How does this work with the milk-base dressings? Do you serve it on the side and have people add it little by little?

How does this work with the milk-base dressings? Do you serve it on the side and have people add it little by little?

I always serve milk based dressings on the side so that the person can choose how much or how little to add. I don't think the milk based variety would work as well in the "light and airy" effect. Worth a shot to find out, though. ;)

I have never heard of salting your salad. I know the dressing has salt.

I'll have to pass that on to my husband. He loves salads. He puts everything into his salad. It takes him 20 minutes just to make his.

I had never heard of it either, but it makes sense. If you salt the leaves and make your own dressing, there's no need to add salt to the dressing. I've done it and it was great! It's my daughter's favorite type of salad. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I toasted my salad spinner this summer when I was making...oh what was I making??? Something I was canning. I miss it. I really want to get an Oxo - both the small and large one.

Violet has both sizes and they work beautifully. :P

I have the big Oxo - I really love that thing! I also have the plastic lettuce knife that you're supposed to use instead of metal to prevent browning. I use the Foodsaver to store the unused portion of the lettuce. By doing all that, I can usually get it all used up before it goes bad.

I have never heard of salting your salad. I know the dressing has salt.

I'll have to pass that on to my husband. He loves salads. He puts everything into his salad. It takes him 20 minutes just to make his.

MMmmm, us too.

We use boiled eggs of course, dried cranberries, grapes, bacon bits, sunflower seeds, carrots, red peppers, the salad mix from Sam's club (excellent price & big container), tomatoes, olives, red peppers, garbanzo beans, frozen peas (run under cold water & defrosted), cucumbers, radishes (LOVE radishes), well, you name it, we throw it in there.

I love my salad spinner, before we got ours, our dressing would always be all watered down in the bottom of the bowl. <_<

But I bought the large one & we have salads at *least* twice a week, and it more than paid for itself the first couple of times.

Oh! Another trick on the salad dressing, instead of pouring it *over* your salad, I add my dressing in the bottom of my bowl and then add all the salad toppings, then just take my fork and 'toss' it in with the dressing.

Soooo much easier.

Michelle in middle Tennessee

Archived