MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

canning sloppy joes

kathy003

I want to can sloppy Joe's. I plan to use the manwich sauce with the ground beef in the Manwich. the canning instructions are not in my Ball Blue Book and was wondering if I could can this. I want to make the sloppy joes in my slow cooker and can it from there.

I know things with beef in them have to be canned longer, Can I can this and if so, what would the process times be for pints and quarts?

Thanks!

Recanning commercial things is not advisible. Also, the rule for using the time for the longest processing time is no longer recommended. Even if you get the ph level in a safe level, the density may or may not be the same as a tested recipe for canning. The density will also affect processing times and methods.

The commercially canned products often have thickeners in them. That is not a safe thing to can or recan. You have to look at each and every ingredient when canning.

One should never can their own recipes. There are cooking recipes and there are tested canning recipes. The two are not the same.

Here is a canning quiz that may help you understand more about the importance of safe processing of foods.

http://missvickie.com/canning/quiz.htm

Another good thing to read, though it mostly is directed at salsa, the same guidelines hold true for all foods.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/nchf...eets/salsa.html

I had this recipe in my files and probably could use Violet's comments. Source of it was not written down.

Sloppy Joes

3 pounds ground beef

1 1/2 cup diced onion

3 cloves garlic -- minced

3/4 cup brown sugar

2 tablespoons prepared mustard

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1/4 teaspoon thyme

2 cup catsup

1 cup chili sauce

1/2 cup water

1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce

2 tablespoons lemon juice

Follow manufacturer's directions for preparing home canning jars and two-piece vacuum caps.

Brown ground beef, onion and garlic in a large saucepot. Drain off fat; set aside.

Combine brown sugar and mustard. Add remaining ingredients to brown sugar mixture. Combine beef mixture and sauce. Heat thoroughly.

Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot jars, leaving 1-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles with a nonmetallic spatula. Wipe jar rim clean. Place lid on jar with sealing compound next to glass. Screw band down evenly and firmly just until a point of resistance is met - fingertip tight.

Process 1 hour and 15 minutes at 10 pounds pressure for altitudes of 1,000 ft or less.

NOTES : To serve: Reheat in a saucepot on top of range about 15 minutes

I don't know of a safe recipe for canning sloppy joes with the meat in it.

The recipe for chili sauce from the Ball blue book is similar.

Also this one here would be good:

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/uga/uga_can_tom.pdf

It is for Spicy Chili sauce. It seems to be more like Manwich.

I would can the hamburger seperate, then combine the two if you want canned meat. Personally, I don't care for canned hamburger. The texture seems odd to me. I prefer fresh cooked hamburger. I also added some oregano to my chili sauce when I opened it because I know Manwich has it in there. I didn't add when canning since it can seem to get bitter tasting to me when canned.

Archived