MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whine Sniffle Wah Wah

TurtleMama

I'm SO upset!!!!

I finally found a beautiful 21 1/2 quart boiling water bath canner in my town...I was so happy I wouldn't have to deal with the internet drama to buy it from online. Went and picked it up, took it home, showed it off to kids, hubby and parents, and discovered tonight that its sticker says "Do not use on glass cooktops!!!!"

It's a Granite Ware and I am wondering if anyone here might know why the makers of the canner had to go and dash my dreams of pints and pints of peaches because I have a glass cooktop. :canning:

Is it simply that they want to not be held culpable should your cooktop crack, or is it a safety issue, like that the glass stoves won't get the contents hot enough? Obviously, I want to can safely...that's the #1 priority. I'm just SO bummed out. I couldn't wait to get started.

I would greatly appreciate any explanations anyone has.

TM,

I'm so sorry.

Primarily, canners are HEAVY. They can cause glass stove tops to crack. Also, some glass stove tops will cycle the heat on and off...so it can be very difficult to maintain a constant temperature. Also, some glass stove tops DO say you can use canners, but the canners can't be too high and can't extend beyond the burner more than 1" all around or you are likely to damage the cooktop.

Also, if you look on the bottom of the graniteware canner, it's kinda wavy...not a completely flat bottom. These are AWESOME for gas ranges. Really truly, great, becuase the flame can reach all of the wavy convolutions and heat every part of the bottom of the canner.

To can at a constant temperature, you need complete contact between the canner and the stove element. On electric ranges with the speckled canners, it takes FOREVER for them to boil and are a bear to keep constant.

I'm sorry you can't get started canning right away.

Remember though, that for water bath canning, all you really need is a pot large enough for 5 quart jars with 2-4" of water over the top. You need something separating the jars from the bottom of the canner...a layer of canning rings will do the job nicely...as will some table knives...or an old cake rack etc.

Perhaps you can do double-duty this way - find yourself a GIANT stockpot that will fit on your element and use it as a water bath canner. :)

Hugs to you.

:bighug2:

Yep, if you dare can on your glass top stove you will need a solid bottom pan. One that is no larger than 1 inch larger in diameter than the element part of your stove. Some glass top stoves are not recommended for canning on. You need to check with your stove manufacturer. They can break from the heat and the weight of a canner. They may cycle on and off and not keep a canner at a steady boil. This can be a problem with pressure canners, too. The only brand of pressure canner that is even recommended is Presto.

Again, you will still have to check with the stove manufacturer.

The ridges prevent even heat transfer. It doesn't make contact with the burner. The ridged blue canners are only safe to use on a gas stove. Even a regular element stove is supposed to be canned on with a solid bottom pan. Since I don't know of any water bath canners like that, you normally have to use a large stockpot instead with some other sort of rack that will fit.

Remember though, that for water bath canning, all you really need is a pot large enough for 5 quart jars with 2-4" of water over the top. You need something separating the jars from the bottom of the canner...a layer of canning rings will do the job nicely...as will some table knives...or an old cake rack etc.

Perhaps you can do double-duty this way - find yourself a GIANT stockpot that will fit on your element and use it as a water bath canner.

OMGosh! it is THAT easy? I have two pots I can use. One is a stainless steel stock pot. I have an electric stove. I will be buying the Ball Blue Book this week sometime. Whoopee!

I have a glass stove top. It came with the house and I have no owners manual for it.

When I bought my presto canner years ago, it said nothing about glass top stoves. I've been using it all of these years. It does have a flat bottom to it, so maybe it's not an issue.

The oven door handle is falling off and the drawer at the bottom has no handle. If I ever can afford to replace it I would like to get another glass top since I've been spoiled with the easy clean-up. Do they make glass-tops that are approved for canning?

Wow, thank you all SO much for your replies, suggestions, and empathy! LOL :grouphug:

I think that both the ideas about using a stockpot (I didn't even know you could DO that!!!) and the possibility of the outdoor burner (we have one on our barbeque grill, and I think that might be great practice for an emergency situation where the power's gone are GREAT ones!!!! I am hoping I'll be able to take the canner back, Sere...I'll have to see if I still have the receipt! *hoping and praying* If I don't, I'll reserve it for use as an outdoor canner...once I figure out how to get that silly little propane burner to WORK! LOLOL

At least I know now WHY it said that. I'm just SO glad I found this place!!!!! Hooray! :woohoo:

Do they make glass-tops that are approved for canning?

Homemaker,

They do make models for canning, but you would need to check with your favorite appliance store to see what they are. I'm sorry but I don't know any brands off the top of my head.

All my knowledge is 'electric' stoves and Violet has a gas stove... :)

I'm glad you're able to can with your glass top.

Could you get you an outdoor propane set up to can on? I don't think they cost to much and you will have it when you do get a big pressure cooker as well.

My Presto says not to use it on one of those. It specifically has a picture of one of those propane stands used for frying turkeys.

OMGosh! it is THAT easy? I have two pots I can use. One is a stainless steel stock pot. I have an electric stove. I will be buying the Ball Blue Book this week sometime. Whoopee!

Yes, you can even put a folded towel in the bottom for a rack, or wire some jar rings together, find a cake rack, etc. for a rack in the bottom.

You don't have to wait for the Ball Blue book, just use this site online if you want to get started. http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/index.html

The free online course would be really beneficial. I highly suggest it to all new canners.

I suggest start with some jelly out of bottled juice or use some frozen fruit for jam. That, or get some carrots and pickle them, or something like that.

It isn't hard, just takes some time.

The turkey fryers are not approved for use because they are dangerous, they can tip over. Plus, they are hard to regulate the heat on, especially for a pressure canner. They get so hot they may also warp or burn the bottom of the pans. If you warp a pressure canner, it is toast. You would have to throw it away.

Out of curiosity, has anyone succesfully canned over a woodfire or on a woodstove?

Archived