MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

two-quart jars

Homemaker

I was at Southern States last week picking up some chicken feed and I noticed they have 2-quart jars for sale. I believe they were the Kerr brand.

I'm sure I've seen something discussed somewhere about the reason we shouldn't can in them.

I can't remember the details. I looked around in past postings and tried the search, but had no luck.

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but I would like to know why they can't be used.

You can can in them, but only juices. The size is too big to ensure that the contents are thoroughly processed correctly.

I suppose plain broth would be ok, but that's an *awful* lot of broth to use up. Juice, on the other hand, can be used and refrigerated for a while while using.

Ask anything... that's why we're here!!

:bighug2:

It's a shame.

They would be the perfect size for soups for my family so I'd only need to open one jar.

Oh well, I guess they'll continue to tease me when I see them sitting on the shelf at the store.

Thanks for the info. I suspected that it was the density thing.

Homemaker,

While we cannot use them for regular canning, they do make wonderful storage containers for nuts, granola, etc.

I have the Foodsaver Jar Sealer attachment and I just fill them up and seal on a canning lid.

They look so pretty and I can see exactly what I have on hand. They are also very economical: under $10 for six including rings and lids. That is a bargain!

Another advantage is that my kids don't dare crack one open because that would be wayyy too obvious, so my stores of chocolate chips and granola can be stored with out pilfering from the local tribesmen.

:)

(They have to be sneakier to outwit their mom. :) Usually they manage, lol but this has thwarted their best efforts so far. The little thieves. lol)

I love them!!!!

I bought a Seal-a-Meal.

I'd like to use it to seal mason jars, but I can't find an accesory for it. I guess only Foodsavers have them.

I wish I'd known that before I bought this one.

In my house, I'm the one sneaking into the chocolate chips I was planning to save. Stupid chocolate addiction!!

• 2 weeks later...
I bought a Seal-a-Meal.

I'd like to use it to seal mason jars, but I can't find an accesory for it. I guess only Foodsavers have them.

I wish I'd known that before I bought this one.

In my house, I'm the one sneaking into the chocolate chips I was planning to save. Stupid chocolate addiction!!

It will seal mason jars and you can use the hose to seal the cannisters also. You can use a cannister to seal any jar as seen in this video...great for dehyrdrated items. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSKglOqP5xA

That is what I am doing, using the oxygen absorbers. Sure is fast to do, too. Sometimes the lid "pings", too.

My jars with the vacuum sealer kept coming unsealed ! I tried everything. I called the company. They said it was from the enzymes. Enzymes in dried beans and dried pasta ?? I don't think so.

I tried everything. I called the company. They said it was from the enzymes. Enzymes in dried beans and dried pasta ?? I don't think so.

:24: ENZYMES?!?! Can we say uneducated! Oh wait, Foodsaver is now owned by Jarden. That explains a lot right there. :0327:

Seriously, if I'm having trouble, the 'new' manual says to heat the lids first (like a BWB for canning) and they usually stick.

If they pop after this, I've found that the jar is usually at fault.

:bighug2:

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so let me get this straight....you don't freeze your chocolate chips!?!?!? That's the only way I've figured out how to keep them from the DH. LOL! But you can put them in a canning jar with an O2 absorber (lid and top). I have a food saver but have it's never worked correctly for me...user error, I'm sure.

What a great morning!

Archived