MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Preserving Chocolate

jakesnana

I have a large block of chocolate bought from a local bakery that just closed.

Other than grating it and freezing it I'm at a loss on what to do. Does anyone

have any ideas?! Could it be canned some way...don't laugh if thats a stupid

question. :24: I'm gigling to myself as I'm 55 and don't no what to do. Help!!!

Thanks for all comments yall, Rhonda

It is important to keep it cool and dry, away from moisture, bright light, heat and odors. Refrigeration is not recommended. I've never had the need but vacuum sealing might be a good remedy, if you have a FoodSaver or wrapping tightly in plastic wrap.

I am assuming you are talking about unsweetened baking chocolate and not milk chocolate.

I would cut it into bricks and put into glass jars, vacuum seal-bags or the like, maybe pre-measured.

I would NOT freeze it just wrapped in paper or cellophane because odors can get in.

Wait, chocolate can be kept? It does not have to eaten within 48 hours after entering the premises? :lol:

For dire emergencies we have very dark 78% choolate in deep storage. In a container with lid, together with other completely dry goods. Some has been there for over 4 years, in a dark room with reasonable consistent temperatures.

I'd not try canning or freezing it either. It's pretty stable as is providing no big temperature changes occur.

Thank you all. I will seal the chocolate and then store in mylar bags and a bucket.

Maybe over kill but better safe than sorry. Yall are good....

hush1.gif

My family doesn't know chocolate can be stored. hush1.gif They don't know I have any. hush1.gif They also don't know about the bag hidden in the cupboard right now. hush1.gif

Do you really think any chocolate would be there when I needed it if I didn't hide it??? hush1.gif

NO, DEAR... CHOCOLATE CAN'T BE STORED FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME...

:whistling:

:24::24::24:

The chocolate is unsweeten bakers type. The block is about 2 inches thick and it was cut into smaller

chunks by my Dh. I freeze chocolate bars from the store and they do fine. This chocolate won't last long

when one of our members gets on a baking tear. :bdaycake:

Is one of these it? The first one uses liquid Certo, the second uses powdered Sure Jell.

----------

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/certo...read-62802.aspx

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/surej...read-62809.aspx

Archived