MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Chili & Stew

Jori

I'm hoping someone can help me. I would like to can the stew and chili recipes that I have but I'm not sure if they are able to be canned. The stew is a thick beef stew that contains carrots, potatoes, peas, and mushrooms. The chili has cheese in it.

Can anyone help me with this?

Mushrooms are safer if they are dehydrated or pickled. Cheese contains fats that are not safe to can according to the canning guide lines of today for safe canning methods. Others more schooled in proper canning can help you determine if the other ingredients are safe to can. If you list the recipe you use for each of them, that would help them when they look at the post here for you. If no one gets back to you today, try PM-ing Violet or C4C ( Crazy4Canning). They are probably the best authorities on this matter. Good luck! Also any flour is a no no. ( You can always take the broth and make the gravy when you open the jar though, to consume it. )

Arby, Thanks for the advice. Below are the recipes.

Jori

Beef Stew

4 lbs. chuck, cut in 1-in cubes

1/2 c flour

1/3 c oil

2 t salt

2 t celery salt

1 t pepper

2 cloves garlic, crushed

4 t instant minced onion

2 bay leaves

1/2 c Sherry

2 cans (8 oz each) tomato sauce

9 medium carrots, pared & cut in thirds

1 lb pared & peeled potatoes

1 pkg (10 oz) thawed frozen peas

1 can sliced mushrooms, drained

2 T chopped parsley

Roll chuck in flour. Brown in 4 qt Dutch oven in hot oil. Stir in salts, pepper, garlic, onion, bay leaf, sherry, tomato sauce, and 1 c water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered for 1 1/2 hours or just until meat is tender. Remove bay leaves. Add vegetables.

Preheat oven to 350. Bake, covered for 30 minutes. Add peas and mushrooms, bake 20 minutes longer or just until potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with parsley.

Chili

1 lb bulk pork sausage

1 lb ground beef

2 cans (15 1/2 oz each) hot chili beans

1 jar (1 oz) salsa

1 can (16 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained

1 can (15 oz) pinto beans, rinsed and drained

1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained

1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted

1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce

8 oz process chesse, (velvetta), cubed

1 1/2 t chili powder

1/2 t cayenne pepper

In a soup kettle or dutch oven, cook the sausage & beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heatl cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until heated through.

There are 'cooking' recipes and then there are 'canning' recipes and they are not the same, though everyone would love to 'can' their favorite cooking recipes. Sorry, if the recipes are not from a tested and published canning source, they are not safe to consider for canning. For more information, go to:

National Center for Home Food Preservation

Jori~

There is a page on the site that Canned Nerd gave about canning soups with vegetables and meats. It says you need to find the instructions for each specific food that you are including. So even though the recipes you have aren't safe for canning, maybe you can find something similar that is safe to do. Ready canned meals are so convenient! Good luck!

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_04/soups.html

That is correct, you cannot safely can cooking recipes. Please, use recipes from reliable sources for canning recipes and methods. The links give are the best there are. Either that or the Ball Blue Book. You can change the recipes by using different dried herbs and spices, but not fresh ones.

You can use different vegetables in soups.

If you use a recipe from Aunt Mary, she probably doesn't have any training in food preservation safety. Nowdays our foods are just not the same as years ago. Who would ever think we would have salmonella in peanuts, or pistachios ? That, and ecoli, mad cow, things like that. We need to be much more careful with our food these days.

You will still be able to can some great tasting, yet safe foods.

No canned soups, no cheese, nor butter, eggs, flour, cornstarch, oil, etc. in homecanned foods. Not other than a few recipes with oil for sauteing things, but they have all been tested in a lab for safety. Then, a few marinated things have some oil.

puppyinwindowsnow.gif

I have canned a lot of the stew from the Ball Blue Book, and I have canned my own chili recipe. Well, I really don't have a recipe for the chili, I just make it. :)

I also canned 'Three Bean Hotdish', but, I think it was over cooked. NOT over canned, over cooked before I canned it. I had it in the oven keeping warm as I made another batch and of course it cooked while in the oven. But, we were able to eat it.

When I open the jars up, I usually put them in the micro wave for about 10 minutes. When I open meat up, I put it in the oven for about an hour or longer.

HUGS4-1.gifhaveanicedaydogandflowers.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Beef Stew

4 lbs. chuck, cut in 1-in cubes

1/2 c flour

1/3 c oil

2 t salt

2 t celery salt

1 t pepper

2 cloves garlic, crushed

4 t instant minced onion

2 bay leaves

1/2 c Sherry

2 cans (8 oz each) tomato sauce

9 medium carrots, pared & cut in thirds

1 lb pared & peeled potatoes

1 pkg (10 oz) thawed frozen peas

1 can sliced mushrooms, drained

2 T chopped parsley

Roll chuck in flour. Brown in 4 qt Dutch oven in hot oil. Stir in salts, pepper, garlic, onion, bay leaf, sherry, tomato sauce, and 1 c water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered for 1 1/2 hours or just until meat is tender. Remove bay leaves. Add vegetables.

If it were me, I would decrease the oil and totally cut out the flour. You cannot home can with starches such as flour, starch, etc.

I would increase the broth and can it at 75 minutes for pints/90 minutes for quarts.

Chili

1 lb bulk pork sausage

1 lb ground beef

2 cans (15 1/2 oz each) hot chili beans

1 jar (1 oz) salsa

1 can (16 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained

1 can (15 oz) pinto beans, rinsed and drained

1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained

1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted

1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce

8 oz process chesse, (velvetta), cubed

1 1/2 t chili powder

1/2 t cayenne pepper

In a soup kettle or dutch oven, cook the sausage & beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heatl cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until heated through.

This recipe I wouldn't can at all, as it's laid out. You cannot can dairy products and I wouldn't use the cream of mushroom soup in a home canned product. There's not enough liquid for my comfort, etc etc etc.

I found myself repeating myself. I had already posted above Darlene basically saying the same things.Goodness, and this is still early in the "crazy season" for me, too. I should have given a reason for deleting, I can see now that now. I am sorry I didn't say why I edited it.

I tend to do these things when overtired. I just do too many things at once...

Hugs !

Archived