MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

canned coalslaw

zzelle

You cannot safely can coleslaw, sorry. The ingredients are not something that are able to be canned. Besides, processing would make it cooked, not raw like coleslaw.

The closest thing would be to make freezer slaw. That or make a relish, like picallili, but that is really not like coleslaw.

Plain canned cabbage is so strong smelling and tasting that the directions have been pulled from the books. Only sauerkraut and relishes are the things that have cabbage in them that are canned.

Do you have a current copy of the Ball Blue book? I would recommend getting one. If there are not recipes in the books for things, then most likely it would not be considered something safe to can. The So Easy to Preserve book from Univ. of Georgia is another good one to have on hand.

FROZEN COLE SLAW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 medium head cabbage, shredded

1 carrot - shredded

1 pepper - diced

1 teaspoon salt

Add salt to cabbage - let stand 1 hour drain off juice.

Make a syrup -

1 cup vinegar

2 cup sugar

1/4 cup water

add 1 teaspoon mustard seed

1 teaspoon celery seed

Cool syrup and pour over cabbage mixture. Pack in

container and freeze. Thaw to use.

• 2 weeks later...

You can also can this recipe..I have a few times and it comes out great...I usually refrigerate the jar before opening...taste better cold.

You cannot safely can coleslaw, sorry. The ingredients are not something that are able to be canned. Besides, processing would make it cooked, not raw like coleslaw.

The closest thing would be to make freezer slaw. That or make a relish, like picallili, but that is really not like coleslaw.

Plain canned cabbage is so strong smelling and tasting that the directions have been pulled from the books. Only sauerkraut and relishes are the things that have cabbage in them that are canned.

Do you have a current copy of the Ball Blue book? I would recommend getting one. If there are not recipes in the books for things, then most likely it would not be considered something safe to can. The So Easy to Preserve book from Univ. of Georgia is another good one to have on hand.

FROZEN COLE SLAW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 medium head cabbage, shredded

1 carrot - shredded

1 pepper - diced

1 teaspoon salt

Add salt to cabbage - let stand 1 hour drain off juice.

Make a syrup -

1 cup vinegar

2 cup sugar

1/4 cup water

add 1 teaspoon mustard seed

1 teaspoon celery seed

Cool syrup and pour over cabbage mixture. Pack in

container and freeze. Thaw to use.

suzann, I would be very careful trying this. Violet has been trained in food safety and knows what is considered a safe canning recipe.

**Try it at your OWN RISK!!**

It isn't an approved recipe.

Archived