MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

A Fishy Question...

Do not store the tuna pouches in your car. That kind of heat will mess it up. Especially fish! I would only store that kind of thing in the car in the winter time. Perhaps a bin stored in your closet with such things as tuna in the pouch would be a good thing? Build up BOB foods and gear there too... In something you can grab and carry.

You need to keep it at room temperature. Dried foods would be better, no chocolate coated protein bars though.... for your BOB. Bring something like a mess kit in your BOB to rehydrate things and to boil water. If you have a foodsaver and bags you can vaccuum pack amounts of dry foods in them and put those in your car BOB kit.

Ask yourself what the purpose is for your BOB, is it to get home by from school or work and the distances you would regularly follow or is it to get some distance away from the chaos? The reason I suggest dehydrated foods or dry goods ( instant pancake mix, for instance), is that you can pack more in a small BOB than just 3 days worth of food, because its so condensed. You might want to order those mainstay or other food bars that are complete and packaged already and give you all the calories you need from beprepared.com... or dry milk and whey powder/protein powders are great too and have lots of vitamins and stuff that will help you think straight and feel good inspite of the stress at the moment. You will need water for that, so would have to remember that part.

If you have a dehydrator get a london broil and marinate it and make jerky with it. Vacuum seal it up and put that in your bag. Sunflower seeds too. Those would withstand temps alot longer in a BOB during the summer. ( Raw or honey roasted , salted if you like)Put them in at least ziploc bags, which can be useful on the road. Whatever alternates of protein you will eat and can carry easily, that is....

also, seasonally rotate such things. In the winter you can get away with chocolate coated protein bars and such things maybe.... depends on your climate.... in the summer, it will be different.

Can you cover your BOB with some stuff to shield it from sunlight in the car? This may reduce some of the heat factor for the BOB. It also helps keep it out of sight. But I wouldn't keep tuna pouches in it because of the heat at this time of year. Still, they can be kept in a bin at home for preps and can be grabbed at the time, if you are home.

OK, OK, I get it.

My car does get to be parked in the shade under the building while I'm at work, but at home it's out in the driveway.

*makes a note to only put things like beef jerky and sunflower seeds in the car at any time*

Every once in a while, it still gets rather warm during the winter still.

I'm working on finding some kind of energy bar type thing that I can eat (no gluten for me) and WILL eat. Some of them are just nasty. I may say to heck with it and just stash the snickerdoodles made with pinto bean flour instead.

You will probably have to make your own energy bar. I can't find anything my daughter can eat that is ready made.

Even jerky and sunflower seeds will not keep. Think burnt and/or rancid.

Can you fix up a small tote with your food and water items and carry that inside with you? It isn't too hard to get in the habit of grabbing it along with your purse as you head out the door.

I normally keep at least one or two of the Envirokids peanut butter bars in my tote that goes with me everywhere. Just trying to figure out what else I can do so I have more than a few hours worth of food.

Archived