MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Food Storage Questions

Hi,

I'm new to all of this prepping, and getting ready to purchase vegetables. I do want to actually use what I purchase, and rotate my storage supplies, so I am already using food storage for everyday.

I was wondering which kind of veggies most of you prefer..freeze dried or dehydrated? I remember freeze dried stawberries in some kind of commercial cereal from years ago, and it wasn't very exciting! Ix-nay on the f.d. ice cream I've tasted, as well! Hopefully, things have improved since then! I'm not sure I've ever had dehydrated veggies, but fruit is good.

Also, I have opened a #10 can of powdered eggs...holy moly...it may take me a decade to eat all that!! (I am just one person). Should I vacuum seal most of it, now that the can is opened??

Thanks a bunch!

Use the eggs in your baking and stirred into your Instant Breakfast. Back when I bought the macaroni and cheese boxes with the packet of orange powder, I stirred a heaping spoonful of powdered egg into the orange powder whenever it was available. You might be surprised at how fast the can goes.

I prefer dehydrated because they are usually cheaper, usually stay good longer in my humid atmosphere after being opened, and because f-d foods have all the original volume, while dried take up a fraction of the room.

And if anyone finds dried onions for a lot less than a dollar a ounce, please let me know where!

Freeze dried can only be obtained commercially at a premium price. Dehydrated veggies you can do yourself and keep the cost to a minimum. However, I don't concentrate too much on the dry goods because in a disaster situation -- which is what you are prepping for -- water is probably going to be a premium and only available if you have stored your own.

The #10 can of powdered eggs, since you've opened the can, needs to be vacuum-sealed in FoodSaver jars or bags and include a desiccant packet to retrieve any moisture. I tend to stay away from such large cans for that very reason. Once opened you are committed to consume the contents quickly before it spoils. I prefer storage in smaller useble sizes so my FoodSaver gets lots of use.

As for dried onions, the only cost to me is electricity to run the dehydrator.

Use the eggs in your baking and stirred into your Instant Breakfast. Back when I bought the macaroni and cheese boxes with the packet of orange powder, I stirred a heaping spoonful of powdered egg into the orange powder whenever it was available. You might be surprised at how fast the can goes.

I prefer dehydrated because they are usually cheaper, usually stay good longer in my humid atmosphere after being opened, and because f-d foods have all the original volume, while dried take up a fraction of the room.

And if anyone finds dried onions for a lot less than a dollar a ounce, please let me know where!

Here you go. Look at the 5 lb size ($20.26 + shipping). If my math is correct, that is less than $0.30 an ounce.

http://www.bulkfoods.com/search_results.as...arch=fromSearch

Yes, do seal the eggs up or use them. Keep the can refrigerated too after opening. I LOVE dried eggs, so handy. I had good luck with using them in baking, french toast and scrambled eggs. You can also sneak them into smoothies. I found a source called 'the egg store' on the internet that sells them. Mine came packaged in mylar bags holding the equivalent of 1 dozen, which I love, that way I only open so much at once. RE the freeze dried vs dehydrated veggies, I like the lower price of dehydrated, and that I can do a lot myself. Since freeze dried veggies also shrink down more than freeze dried, you can store more in less space. I also do my own, and especially like that I can dry my own soups, stews, salsa, etc for later use. I have dehydrated foods in my bug out bag including dried salsa. Since I rotate them they keep well for me. Yes, they take water, but I also bought a small portable water filter since water is not a problem in my area (I live 2 miles from lake michigan!)AND have some 50-gal drums as well. I usually rehydrate in just enought water to cover, and for just the two of us, that is not all that much for a couple cups of food.

Do get a dehydrator if you can, it is a fun toy. How else are you going to be able to try dried salsa, sauerkraut, or dill pickles? Even if you only make and use fruit leather, it will pay for itself fast.

Thanks a bunch everyone!

I will take care of the powederd eggs I have, and will check out 'the egg store" By the dozen sounds just right! I have also made a decision (as per your thoughtful responses), to purchase dehydrated veggies instead of freeze dried.

PLUS I have been eyeing home dehydrators!

And thanks for the bonus info on dried onions too!

newbie question - are dehydrated eggs "raw"? or have they been cooked first then dehydrated? (can't seem to find an answer online other than that the products have been spray-dried ~ whatever that means, LOL)

not sure why it matters, just my little brain can't relax til it knows *smile*

Archived