MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Zucchini Marmalade

ol'momma

ZUCCHINI MARMALADE (from Cooks.com)

2 lbs zucchini or Summer squash

juice of 2 lemons, seeds removed

1 teaspoon grate lemon zest (yellow rind portion)

1 13.5 oz can crushed pineapple, drained

1 package Certo (or other powdered pectin)

5 cups sugar (no substitute)

2-3 tablespoons candied ginger, finely minced

5-6 1/2 pint canning jars

Have ready 5-6 1/2 pint canning jars, washed and sterilized .

Wash the zucchini, peel and slice. In a non-aluminum kettle, combine lemon juice, lemon zest (the lemon zest is the yellow portion of the peel which has all of the white parts removed), and the drained pineapple (save the pineapple juice for something else).

Bring to a boil and immediately lower the heat to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally.

Stir in pectin and boil again. Add sugar, ginger, and continue to boil the mixture for another minute, stirring all the while.

Remove kettle from heat, skimming off any foam which rises to the surface. Allow to cool 5-10 minutes. Ladle into hot sterile jars and seal according to manufacturer's directions.

Process in a boiling water bath canner .

Thank you, Ol' Momma. Are you really old ??? Ha haSounds good with the pineapple. That is a good recipe since it will add enough acid to the zucchini. I will print it off.

Ok, off to buy my fresh tuna to can.

. Really Old" would be an improvement.

:cele: I do believe this is the first time I've posted a recipe that has passed the Violet test!! :woohoo:

That is funny, the Violet Test.. Now, you know I am proud of you Ol'momma !

You also know I do this to keep you all well, safe and happy because I care about you all.

That recipe will be a keeper to pass along in my classes, too. Especially since everyone wants to know what to do with the 100 lb. of zucchini they have.

So Really Old would be good ? I am not so young anymore, either. They don't call me Grammie for nothing.

I try to think I look pretty good for my age. I tell folks it is from all the preservatives in the food I have eaten over the years, ha ha.

Can I use bottled lemon juice? How much?

And how long is the processing in the BWB?

This sounds yummy!!

I'd think bottled lemon juice would be fine, but you'll miss out on the zest without a fresh lemon. It really adds a sparkle to the finished marmalade.

I processed it the same as for jam, which is about 20 min at my altitude. You'd have to check for your own elivation. Your county extension agent should be able to help.

It is yummy. I'm disappointed thta mine didn't set very well, but that may be because I didn't drain the pineappe well enough. The kids sure don't seem to care!

When i was looking up the recipe, there was one where someone made a note that it was a good glaze on chicken.

That is funny, the Violet Test.. Now, you know I am proud of you Ol'momma !

You also know I do this to keep you all well, safe and happy because I care about you all.

That recipe will be a keeper to pass along in my classes, too. Especially since everyone wants to know what to do with the 100 lb. of zucchini they have.

So Really Old would be good ? I am not so young anymore, either. They don't call me Grammie for nothing.

I try to think I look pretty good for my age. I tell folks it is from all the preservatives in the food I have eaten over the years, ha ha.

I appreciate you keeping tabs on me and making sure I keep my family safe, Violet. You're a blessing.

You can always tell your classes to sneak thier 100 lbs of zucchini onto back porches by the light of the full moon, like they do in the Pickles cartoons.;)

As for my age, I prefer to list it as "Old enough to know better; too young to care" :D

*sigh* Some days I'm older then others.

Ol' Momma - thank you for the recipe! I have a ton of zucchini here to keep processing. We're getting sick of zucchini bread, fried zucchini, sauteed zucchini and dehydrating zucchini.

What they say around here is that you had better lock your car in the summer or you'll find it filled with zucchini!

Violet -- Thank you for your help and patience with us all.

Ol' Momma - thank you for the recipe! I have a ton of zucchini here to keep processing. We're getting sick of zucchini bread, fried zucchini, sauteed zucchini and dehydrating zucchini.

What they say around here is that you had better lock your car in the summer or you'll find it filled with zucchini!

Violet -- Thank you for your help and patience with us all.

Harvest the blossoms before they set fruit, dip em in batter and deep fry them. MMMMMMmmm Or use them in a nice tossed salad. So pretty, and tasty too!

• 1 month later...

I am not sure about the agave nectar since the zucchini is low acid. You would need Pomona's pectin if you did to get a gel. I know some have canned strawberry jam with agave, but the strawberries are more acidic.

We really don't have any information on the agave nectar yet. I know it is not that great for me probably, but I use Splenda and Pomona's pectin.

A friend gave me her recipe for zucchini jelly. Does it sound ok? I haven't tried it yet.

6 c. sugar

6 c. zucchini-shredded

2 T. lemon juice

can of crushed pineapple (she wasn't sure about the size...we figured one large or two small)

2 sm boxes jell-o (whatever flavor you want the jelly to be)

Put sugar and zucchini in pot and boil for 6 minutes. Add lemon juice and pineapple and boil another 6 minutes. Add jell-o and bring to boil. Seal in jars.

I don't know the processing time for water bath. (I think she just pours in jars and puts the lids on-BIG NONO.) She said it makes 12 half pints.

Where do you find candied ginger in the store? Is it in the baking section? Is it what is used in fruit cake? Sorry, lots of questions to start a Monday morning but it's raining (finally) and grey so I might as well see what I can knock out this morning.

Wow, I've been getting mine at BigLots! for $1.00 for a 3 oz package (Hokan brand).

I get my in the produce section by the salads. It's usually with the nuts, dried fruits and trail mixs. It think it's NUTTY GUYS brand. It's a lot cheaper then buying it out of the spice section!!

Archived