MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What does one do with papaya?

I finally got me a papaya cause I read it was very good for your health. Well all I gotta said is yuk.

It tastes as bad as it smells, it is a good ripe fruit, as in it isn't rotten, but it is really nastay to me. :yuk:

I am drying some of it, but dang, these are big fruits and I need to do something else with the rest of it.

Any suggestions?

FREEZING PAPAYAS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Papayas freeze well. Serve partially frozen, while

they still retain their shape. To prepare papayas for the

for the freezer, wash, peel and cut off the stem end. Trim

away any meat near the seed. Cut fruit into 1/4-inch

slices. Freeze in a honey pack or honey syrup, with lemon

juice added to prevent darkening. Seal, label and freeze.

You can make jam, too.

I'd say if you hated it, then dump the rest and don't buy any more.

If you feel you must use it, is there anything you can put it in to hide the taste? Add to your usual fruit juice, perhaps?

Haven't tried this one myself, but recipe is from friend I trust:

Papaya & Red Raspberry Smoothie Recipe

* 1/2 giant papaya, or 1 whole small one (no seeds or skin)

* 1 pint fresh red raspberries (yes, you can use frozen as backup, but there’s no true replacement for fresh)

* water to 32 oz.

* (To make extra-special, add Goji Berries & fresh Lime juice! See “update” below…)

Scoop out the papaya flesh into the blender. Add the raspberries and water, and blend.

Pour Over Ice and Bring To Work or School!

Personally, I like to make the smoothie without ice, then pour over ice in 2 large water bottles, drinking the rest on-the-fly. I often would make another batch to use up the entire papaya and take all four bottles with me on the road to work, drinking them by lunchtime. As I am a proponent of drinking three blenderfuls of live smoothies every single day, this is a great start!

Courtesy of Angela. (in case she somehow ends up here and sees her recipe. ;) )

Thank you Violet for that suggestion. I still have over half of it left. :P

Leah, I had hoped it would be edible for me, but since my husband can't taste I have been adding some to his fruit bowl.

As for making a smoothie etp, I might combine a few more fruits as I can't deal with a pound of papaya in one sitting, LOL. I do have frozen raspsberries<gasp> but I live in Texas, no fresh to be had here, and will try that today. I do have dried gogi berries and fresh limes too...hmmm

Getting that papaya out of my frig soon, priceless...

Thanks again everyone. B)

I ended up drying the rest of it. I figured if worst came to worse, I could eat it as it really isn't all that nasty dried. Maybe with come chili powder and lime....

Juicing is an excellent idea. Papaya is such an inexpensive fruit this time of year and it has lots of excellent health properties, it was something different to try.

Thanks to all again.

Archived