MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hi from the Little Chicken Ranch!

firegirl969

I just joined this forum, but I have been seriously prepping for about a year now. I live in south GA with DH on his grandparent's 18 acre farm with has pastures, a 2 acre pond, and woodlot. We have 7 kids between us. We live in a small SW mobile home that is paid for, and we added a large 18 X 14 screened porch with a woodstove on it. We close in the porch with heavy plastic in the winter and heat the entire porch and house with the woodstove. We have chickens for meat and eggs, rabbits for meat and manure, a pig and steer for meat, a large traditional garden, 7 raised beds, an asparagus bed, blueberry bushes, wild blackberries lining the driveway and fences, and recently planted 7 assorted fruit trees and 5 grapevines. I also brought along a greenhouse from the previous marriage. DH and I have a solar-powered clothes-dryer (clothesline) and a well which works by electricity and a well with a hand pump and a propane stove. We are in the process of putting in a root cellar and hope to add a milk cow next year, and DH wants to learn to smoke and salt-cure meat and add some solar capabilites to our homestead. I enjoy waterbath and pressure canning, making jams, jellies, and preserves, and making our bread and sweets. In the past year, I have become disabled so I am picking up cross-stitching again since it has been many years since I did any. I look forward to learning more about those who join in here and will answer any questions I can. Blessings to all, firegirl

firegirl, welcome! :bouquet: You sound like you have a great place ! Alot of the women here who homestead, have goats of various breeds and they do great for milk, cheese and other dairy for the most part and are cheaper maybe to maintain?

Alot of us understand how disabilities affect folks , some of us are, too... and I am amazed at what many do tackle daily in their efforts to live free and produce the necessary things to live on. If you ever need to talk or ask for prayers to help you out, if you are so inclined, we welcome the chance to listen and pray. the Psssst forum is just for women, btw. Streams in the Desert is for spiritual notes and prayer and thoughts.

Many who have been canning like fiends are going to be stepping that up as the harvest comes in heavier... it is amazing and there are lots of wonderful recipes for canning stuff on this site. We figure out how to work with dehydrated foods too, and theres even a thread on coffee mixes and flavored creamers and such things and lots of baking recipes too, you may enjoy.

There are some wonderful quilters and people who know guns so completely, and will explain things to anyone not familiar that wants to learn more. The shoutbox is for chatting , we kind of go through there alot in the evenings, some nights, you can always stop in and leave a message.

There is a vast amount of encouragement, knowledge, detailed experience in so many areas including good info and all the stuff being said about the swine flu and whats going on today. Use discernment, but you will figure out what you are comfortable with on MrsS. I hope you enjoy it and gain many friends, as I did and do. There are some great sewers on here and crafty folks who have made candle lanterns and such too, other skills. I just know we all care, and we may be in different circumstances, but everyone is trying hard to make sure they can take care of themselves when the stuff hits the fan for them.

Enjoy!

GOODMORNING4DOGS.gif

welcomewelovenewmembers.jpg

Sounds like you have a great place to live and are doing so much.

I too have one of those solar clothes dryers. :):clothesline: It has been used a lot this summer. This one was put up last summer and it had been years since I had any line outside. I love the way the laundry smells after being outside like that. :)

I do a lot of craft things but, have yet to cross stitch. I'm working on it though, I have some dish towels that I have stamped and are ready for me to start the cross stitch. :)

Come on down to the Homemade Memories forum, I'm sure you will have a lot to add to the forum. :)

haveagooddaywithflowers.gifHUGSMOUSEINSUGAR.gif

Thanks for all of the welcomes. I look forward to looking at many of the posts about what arby was talking about. I had dairy goats when married the first time and made mozzerella cheese and goat cheese. DH #2 hates goats. He just doesn't know what he is missing!!! The ones I had were so loveable. I will of course be asking for prayers, as I have had three surgeries in nine months and have one more coming up.

I do have a question today. How do you type so that it won't go into the flag design at the bottom? I love that design, but it makes reading the post very difficult. Thanks in advance, firegirl

Archived