MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cleaning old jars

Jori

We were at my in-laws working in the garden since they are vacationing. DH went into the attic and grabbed 2 "moving" boxes of quart jars. On the way home, he said he wasn't sure if they were any good because of the way they looked. I said not a problem, I knew we had a thread about cleaning them - I just can't find it now. I haven't looked at them, yet, so not sure how bad is bad. But then he told me they have been up there at least 15 years. So, does anyone remember where the thread was? I searched and couldn't find it. They should be alright to use even though they've been in an attic for a decade and a half (at least), correct?

Yup! No chips, cracks, etc... of course.

Wash in hot, soapy water, soaking if necessary. Rinse well. Sterilize by boiling in hot boiling water.

easy! ;)

I inherited all my gramma's jars that had spent the better part of my lifetime in an old chicken house. By the time I got to them, mice had invaded some, they were icky, etc.

I knocked out the yuck and soaked them in a strong soapy bleach water. I scrubbed them a few times and tossed them into the dishwasher.

It worked well.

I pick up a lot of jars at rummage sales and free from people cleaning out basements and some of them look pretty bad. If you are determined enough you can almost always get them clean. If they are foggy from hard water/lime a good soak in vinegar will usually do the trick. I have a real good bottle brush that is great for cleaning out jars. I bought 2 of them at a small Amish store about 5 years ago and I really wish I would have gotten more because I haven't seen any like them since. I would really like to get one of those outfits that they use in bars and restaurants to clean glasses where there is a motorized bottle brush that spins around under the water and you just push the jar down on it and it scrubs it out. I am going to keep my eyes out for one if there are any auctions thet might have that type of stuff. I am way to cheap (economically conservative) to buy a new one.

A good way to get some jars is to post a note at a senior center, some of the eldery will be so happy to see their jars go to someone that will use them that they just give them to you. I always be sure to send a thank you card and drop them off some vegetables when I have extra just to show my appreciation.

A good way to get some jars is to post a note at a senior center, some of the eldery will be so happy to see their jars go to someone that will use them that they just give them to you. I always be sure to send a thank you card and drop them off some vegetables when I have extra just to show my appreciation.

A great idea!

Great idea about the senior center!

Some of these jars are really "older" as they are square in shape and I've never seen that before and my mom canned alot. They aren't as bad as I thought but I only opened the top box and looked in there. Square(ish) jars are alright to use still, correct?

As long as a ring fits to fingertip tight, there is a 'lip' at the bottom (like with the newer Kerr/Ball pints) to hold the ring against, you're fine. :)

If you're hesitant to use them in the pressure canner, they are fine for water bath canning or dry storage with a FoodSaver.

Lucky You! I'm so jealous, but in a good way - like only one person who can envy someone's canning jars! :008Laughing:

:bighug2:

Atlas Jars? I have some that have no brand printed on them & the square ones - they are square with a regular mouth opening so I think they should be okay - have a diamond pattern on them. Are they alright to use.

They aren't as bad as I thought either. Lots of dust and what reminds me of the grey filter from my parents old humidifier. The first 6 are soaking in soap water now. Nothing to bad, though.

Most likely, they are older Hazel Atlas, a perfectly good brand. A have a few with the diamond pattern myself. They belonged to my great-grandmother. Unfortunately, only one of the 3 has a non-chipped rim. So, I use them for dry storage of rice, etc. with those white caps.

Before the consolidation of Ball & Kerr, there were a few brands - Hazel Atlas being one, who made their own jars. Particularly after WW II, when Ball & Kerr really kicked up production, these square ones stopped production because they went to the 'universal' round size.

I think those square ones are just so darn cute! :wub:

Jarden Corporation owns Ball, Kerr and Bernardin (Canada) and I believe also Golden Harvest, but they are still separate factories in different parts of the country. There is also Atlas-Mason (Classico Spaghetti jars) and may be others. I don't think anybody is actually making the Mason brand jar any more, but I may be wrong on that.

Our newspaper recently brought back the swap-buy-and-sale, where you advertise items to buy, trade, or sale. I advertised for canning jars and got about 20 cases each of quarts and pints. Many were free, the others were just a couple bucks a dozen. One lady even washed them all for me before I arrived to pick them up.

Archived