MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Is it safe to store cast iron cookware in the garage??

Now that the in-laws are moving in, I need to clear out the basement for them. I'm building storage units in the garage and want to put my larger cast iron pieces that I don't use as much in there.

The garage is on the sunny side of the house, so it isn't too damp. I'm in Virginia, so it can get a little humid here in the summer.

What do you all think? Will they rust?

If they are well cured and you pay periodic attention to them they should be fine. I like to store my big unused pieces of cast in heavy cloth bags as plastic sweats too much. The cloth protects them from dust and etc. I've had pieces stored in the attic for years that way and had them almost as good as original when retrieved. Your garage is at least more accessible than my attic is in case of a need to quickly get to them. That will be a plus. :)

Homemaker, I wish you all the best with your family moving in with you. Sometimes that can be a real blessing and in case of a SHTF situation you will know they are safe that way.

:bighug2:

I agree with mother to wrap them in fabric or something that breathes. You don't want to trap moisture around the cast iron.

A word of wisdom - don't stack all your cast iron in one spot on a shelf. Over time, it will cause the shelf to bow and warp....eventually it could all come crashing down.

Don't ask me how I know this. :)

Thanks for the warning, C4C. My shelf units are very sturdy, so they should be okay. I'll post pictures of them next week in the gallery so everyone can see them. I'm so excited about how much stuff they can hold. I wish I'd built them years ago!

Thanks for the well wishes Mother. There's a comforting feeling in getting your loved ones safely under your roof. I fear my daughter, SIL and grandbaby will be next. Thank the Lord he gave us a large house.

I store mine in the garage in pillowcases.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine have been sitting up on a shelf in the garage without anything covering it and they are all o.k. If you have moisture in the garage then by all means protect the cookware by covering it. They should be just fine. And even if they do get a little rust on them when you check one day a little salt should scrub it right off.

Archived