MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Let's talk leg cramps

WormGuy

Sometime last night my right calf get a cramp/charlie horse. It was a bad one that kept me from getting a good's nite's sleep. This morning the leg was so sore I was limping. I got on a heating pad for about ten minutes before I went to work which helped a little.

While at work I mentioned it to two different customers. First one told me to take two tablespoons of apple cider vingar, add one tablespoon of sugar, and add this to about three ounce of water and drink it. He said the cramps will go away in about 45 minutes.

The second one said to drink dill pickle juice. She also said that there was discussion to give this to pro footbal players and take away their Gatorade but they were concerened that if any player had high blood pressure it could/would cause problems.

Anyone got any experience with either one of these remidies or one that you have taken and works? The leg is still very sore tonight. I don't know if this has anything to do with this but this is the same leg I tore the muscle in last year.

:wormie2:

John

Increase your potassium intake.

Gatorade has lots of it.

Bananas have lots of it.

Lite salt for people with high blood pressure has loads of it.

Irish potato skins have some.

One thing I've heard is to never massage a cramping leg, because if it's a blood clot your body needs to take care of it down there, not let it loose to catch in your heart, or lung, or brain.

Two of the things that help me with my legs at night are: to do a set of leg stretches before I get into bed, and I tend to sleep on my tummy or my side so I have started placing a small pillow under my ankles. I had never thought to elevate before since I don't sleep on my back, but it has made a big difference.

I drink the vingar (2 Tables spoons) and honey (2 Tablespoons) in a Gal. of water a few times a week and that helps with my joints.

** also next time it happens try this:

Get out of bed, stand on your tippy toes, then rock back on your heels and point your toes in the air. go slow and back and forth a few times and it will go away. Now make sure you are holding on to the bed while you do this so you don't fall down. The pain will be bad at first but it gets better as you work it out.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

The vinegar has potassium. Dried beans have more potassium than bananas.

Try taking a vit C at bedtime along with the calcium and magnesium and make sure you get your D3. Dolomite is a good source of calcium and magnesium. I buy it by the 50# bag at a ceramic supply. $15 for the bag sure beats health food store prices! I give it to my goats and snag some for me.

th_GOODMORNINGFALLCHAIR.jpg

Oldpine gets leg cramps sometimes and it is usually when he hasn't had a banana in a few days. So, we try to keep them on hand.

Also, molasses is good too, only thing is, Oldpine doesn't like molasses at all. The dr. said it is the potassium that is missing for him. Also, if you are on any type of 'water' pill, that is said to drain the potassium from your system.

I've not thought about the 'not rubbing your leg' before, thanks for the warning.

th_FALLHUGSBEAR.gifth_FALLHUGS2-1.jpgth_FALLHAVEAGOODDAYPUMPKINS.gif

A timely discussion as I have been having the same problem.

My MIL swears by putting a bar of soap under her sheets ant the foot of her bed...or is it under the mattress? Anyway, she insists that it works wonders. I can't eat bananas so I guess I'll try the pickle juice remedy. :lol:

Archived