MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Rancid rice???

If it looks okay and smells okay, it probably is okay. If it were mine, I would cook some up and taste it.

Without dying from laughter... what would it taste like if it was rancid?

I cant believe I just asked that :blush:

If it's rancid, you'll know.

ran⋅cid Show Spelled Pronunciation [ran-sid]

–adjective

1. having a rank, unpleasant, stale smell or taste, as through decomposition, esp. of fats or oils: rancid butter.

2. (of an odor or taste) rank, unpleasant, and stale: a rancid smell.

3. offensive or nasty; disagreeable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:

1640–50; < L rancidus rank, stinking, equiv. to ranc(ēre) to be rotten + -idus -id 4

It will smell fermented after cooking if it's spoiled.

Very obviously.

The colder you can keep it, the longer it will last.

I learned what "rancid" smelled like by the burps I got after eating some old grain products. Now that I know what it is, I don't like it, but honestly I don't think it's a "nasty" smell like spoiled meat or produce.

If you seriously don't know, put a small amount of cooking oil in a small glass jar, and leave it exposed to light for a few months. Then take a whiff. Don't worry; it won't bowl you over; It's not that bad.

Thanks Everyone, for your input!

I"ve had this rice since May of last year, and it seems fine to me. It has been vaccuumed sealed and kept in a dark closet.

I put some in chicken soup I was making...that soup tasted good!! And suddenly I thought about the rice..and got to thinking...

Anyway, I've eaten some of the good tasting soup, with no ill effects!

Your rice is fine, then. Put the rest of it in the fridge if you can. We picked up a roadside fridge "It never gets below 42 degrees" they said. I said it would be perfect for storing wheatflour and brown rice and all. It's on the side porch now, stuffed with beverages. Sigh.

Archived