MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Thanks to you ... we made it

carr

Hello all ... I just wanted to stop by and say hello since it's been awhile since I posted. I stopped in earlier in the year and said hello and explained my absence, but I really didn't feel like talking so I've been a lurker this year.

I guess I should explain again. My mother had Alzheimer's Disease and last fall took a turn for the worse. After several months and several hospital stays, she died in January. Mama was in long-term care nearly 600 miles from me. So I spent nearly 3 years driving back and forth (mostly by myself) every 6 to 8 weeks and staying anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks. Computers weren't easily available to me there because the sisters were buidling homes and didn't have internet during most of that time.

I thought when I got home I would just jump back in here, but I just didn't do it. i'm not sure why. I was numb from everything that happened for several months. When I did finally get back in the swing of things, I got really busy playing catch up and then taking on projects and getting them finished.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank all of you so much for help the last two years. If not for you, my situation would have been MUCH more difficult. Because of you, I did not have to buy one roll of toilet paper or paper towels or cleaning products in all those months. We never had to put flour, sugar, chicken stock or many other staples on our list because we had it in the pantry. Grocery and supply shopping was almost a breeze because we were so well stocked up that mostly all we had to buy were perishables and meat, but only because it was on sale.The only first aid products I had to buy were the ones we use most frequently.

Your guidance, your encouragement, your ability to instill confidence in me, your friendships, your "atta-girl's", your genuine spirit of concern for everyone who steps into this forum played a huge roll in my being prepared for that tragedy.

There are not enough thank-you's.

Now I'm rung out. Our pantry is bare. We finally got the yard to a point of recovery and even attempted our first garden adventure ... woo woo. I've really just started the stocking up process again, but my DFIL has taken a turn in his health and now it's DH's turn to drive back and forth (8 hours one-way this time) spend days on end in hospitals, comfort others, take care of paperwork out the wazzoo and all the other stuff that goes along with caring for aging parents.

So I'm going to need that Mrs. S. help again to get us prepared. It's tough to stock up when the budget is tight, and the budget is tight. All those trips took a toll on us, and they're about to start getting us again. But I'm encouraged because I get on here and see how many people are able to do with good planning, hard work and little know-how.

Thanks again for all your help. I promise to try to participate more (I actually have posted several times this week!!) and lurk less!!

:bighug2: Don't force it. It's enough that you're back, and said Hi again. But jump in when and where you can, even if it's only to giggle with us. Belly laughs help us like medicine... just as the Bible told us it does! (Proverbs 17:22)

I'm sorry that you went through so much with your mother, but I'm so proud of you that you -

1) were willing to do the difficult thing for your mother... even as she slipped away and probably didn't even know. *YOU* know, and the blessings are yours.

2) had enough forethought to be prepared and were able to use it at a time when it really was needed and it helped.

It's good that you can understand the value of your husband now going to help with his dad. May he be safe as he travels so much, and may the gasoline miraculously "stretch". :)

It might be more difficult, but you can build up your preps again. Oddly enough, it seems that there are more grocery prices going down, if only temporarily. I suspect people aren't buying as much and retailers are cutting prices to draw people into the stores. And of course, you know we've got all kinds of tips to save money and use things frugally here. ;)

I'm still finding my Sam's Club membership helps me. Scott Tissue is about 65 cents a roll in the big packages, and it lasts MUCH longer than any other brand. I can also buy margarine in big tubs more cheaply, as well as a few other great savings.

( EDITED - Scott is only 63 cents a roll... got more yesterday.)

Welcome home, carr!!!!!

:) Thanks so much!!

:welcome: Home! :bighug2:

We are so glad to have you back. Be easy with yourself, it's a tough thing to have to be the one to make sure all the things are done for a loved one when they are needing care and you are so far away. As far as stocking up again, just take it one thing at a time, buy a few extra of a few items when you go shopping and watch for those sales. :bighug2:

Thank you all so much. Went shopping this evening and took DH. We bought one or two extra of several things we needed that were on sale. This was a good week for sales. Wish I had more $$, but grateful for what we did have. It feels good to get back into the swing of things. No matter how short we are if something goes wrong tomorrow, I know that we're better of than if it happened today!! Pretty liberating, I must say.

Plus, DH ... who really IS a dear, sees himself how important preparing is now. I think before, he rather indulged me. After Mama's death, he understood.Our family is very spread out and we had THREE services for Mama before it was over ... in three different cities .. long story, but it was really necessary to honor her properly. We had to do A LOT of driving to bury her with her family in her home town in Tennessee.

DH was a rock by my side through all of it. On the way home from Tennessee, he fell quite ill ... a rarity for him.We held up two days in a hotel to nurse him and DD through before we could come home. He could barely sit up the first day. But I had pretty much everything we needed to care for them both (and more) in our BOBs!!!!

Happy Happy Joy Joy!!! It was liberating to repeat myself.

So, together, we press forward. And whatever position we are in when bad news hits, we'll be more prepared than before when we lived on a week to week basis rather than a year to year!!

Oh, and DD, who thought her ole' moms was a fruitloop, is all about filling up the BOB now!!

Did I already say Happy Happy Joy Joy!! lol

Oh, WOW!!! :bouquet:

I guess you've made a believer out of your DD... GREAT life lesson! How old is she?

Our kids kind of take us for granted, in that Mom's always gonna take care of things. You showed her a whole new side of being prepared - on the road.

But number one... you took care of them yet again. :wub:

DD#2 is grown, in her late twenties and living cross country .. needless to say I have to give that worry over to the Maker or I would be gripped in fear without end. DD#1 is only 3 1/2 hours away and is actually the one who found Mrs S and brought me on board. She doesn't have much time for surfing here, but is well into prepping and homemaking and stretching the $$. She and hubby and going into ministry, so she is learning everything she can now before the babies start coming (soon please Lord.) lol.

But DD#2 is more into her career and not much for homemaking. However, I really do think she understands what's going on in the world as much as anyone and is beginning to see the need for preps. Before when I said, "I'm going to send you ..." she said "really don't need it and don't have room for it." Now, she says, "okay great!!"

She just had to replace vehicle and got one that will help her load up as much as possible if she has to head for the hills and gas/vehicles are usable. She's started picking up camping equipment at garage sales for use in recreation and with the knowledge that these are things she will need when times get tough.

She and roomy are road tripping here for Christmas, so she's really getting it.

DD #3 also lives within driving distance, but doesn't participate in preps much. I've got her a BOB started and hope to get it to her soon. She's nearly 24 and doesn't see the need yet. But I think once she gets out of her current stage (unpleasant as it is) she will get on board as well.

This is the third year our Christmas has included preps and long-term planning ... so they all know we're serious and all are okay with that. They even gotten us stuff for our BOBS as stocking stuffers.

It really does feel good to have them moving in this direction, especially since we are all so spread out.

DD#1 and I are working on getting county road maps for all of us so that we can plan evacuation and rendezvous routes/locations. When we had to bug out for Rita, we made it to Interstate and then couldn't get across. We ended up turning around and waiting out the storm, which bypassed us. DD s were NOT happy that we turned around, but it was better than sitting on the side of the road through it ... which was where we were. That really showed us how unprepared we were and was, I think, the thing that made DH tolerate my prepping.

The ordeal with Mama brought him on board 100 percent and he talks, plans and works with me regularly toward that end now.

It feels good to know that we're moving toward independence from the grocery stores and toward dependence on one another for what we need. The discipline involved is excruciating, but this old dog loves new tricks!!!

Archived