MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Are these canning recipes safe?

GirlNextDoor

Spmebody hurry up and answer, PLEASE....................

Some of these look to good to pass up?

:AmishMichael2:

Wow, I got hungry just reading her blog. I read all of it. She does seem to practice safe canning and if a recipe isn't or doesn't have the seal of approval she states that also. I like that she is making convenience food, knows whats in them and about how much it cost. For me, to can in late fall (when the produce is abundant) or winter would be great. Then during our busy summer we can still eat great and easy. I'm going to look into other blogs along the same lines. This really has my brain going!!!!!!!

Carol

Although these are not USDA safety tested, some would be OK. I will have to go through each one seperately later. I have company coming today.

I can see some that are not safe. Especially bacon ! Please, do not do bacon. No bacon in anything, and not plain, either. It would be the same idea as trying to "can" butter.

Normally if you find them on someones blog, that is a big red flag, and the answer is no since they are not tested for ph nor for density. The density is also just as important as ph level when canning. Most people do not know this about canning.

I know you were not being disrespectful in any way.

Sorry I do not have time to do this today.... prime rib is cooking away !

Don't know if this is the same as the recipe from Sure Jel or not, but they do have a banana bread jam that is fine to use.

Prime rib was a bit more done than I wanted, but still good.

Today we are going to friends for ham dinner. I am taking potato salad, broccoli salad, and coleslaw, and a smoked salmon cheese ball.

Oh, I know that coleslaw recipe in the jar is not safe to can. Only sauerkraut.

My computer is sick, really sick. So, I am not really able to search these for you now. I had a really hard time just getting the computer up. Have to call the repairman.

Sorry for the wait !! I am not avoiding you and your questions !!

This thing acts possessed. Just surges and surges......

• 2 weeks later...

Okay - I've not got a lot of time today either - but here's my opinion at a first glance

Why is it always at 11 lbs of pressure? This varies depending on your altitude.

White Chili - she's using frozen corn for canning. Why??? Make it during the summer and use fresh. Frozen corn is already processed. This lends itself to a poorer quality product, for the food is being processed twice.

Bourbon chicken looks fine.

Marinated Turkey Breast - I would not pressure can marinated turkey breast, for the flavors really do become stronger over time. You also don't know what thickeners or spices are in that marinade. I would do plain turkey - in broth or water.

Mongolian Beef - I am wondering why you need to add the 4 tsp of oil. Why not use a spray and eliminate the fat???

Peach filling - looks ok

Beef chunks - she doesn't say anything about searing the meat first. BBB encourages this.

Sweet & Sour Chicken - the concept is okay but I'm concerned about the quality of the peppers after the process. I think the pineapple juice and pressure canning would take the color out of the peppers.

Glazed carrots - okay. I would just can them plain though, and make a separate glaze.

Bacon - NO WAY - do not ever can bacon. It's not safe!

Banana Jam - I would be concerned about the acid levels.

Coleslaw - Nope. You can do sauerkraut because you ferment it first, but not straight cabbage. Lids have been known to pop off. Best to enjoy it fresh.

Chicken Breast - Follow BBB rules. Check your broth for thickeners & preservatives.

Curry Chicken - Hmmmm....possible.

Italian Chicken - I wouldn't. The recipe calls for a bottle of Kraft fat free Italian dressing. Have you read the label lately??? I do my chicken plain and then reheat with whatever spices I want.

Lemon Chicken - Sure does look pretty in the jar. Maybe Violet can share her opinion. I think I'd do lemon zest rather than a whole slice.

Mexican Chicken - again, she's using canned tomatoes. This is unwise. Not only does it effect the quality, you're processing twice. I vote for doing plain meat and adding sauces when you serve it.

My opinion about her note "the only way to know if it works is to experiment" Ahhh, no. FOLLOW APPROVED CANNING RECIPIES FROM RELIABLE SOURCES.

I just can't do any more right now. You get the idea.

I would be concerned because she keeps talking about adding thickening agents--one learn Violet and the others here have taught me is that you do not add thickening agents to anything!!!

Archived