MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

canning lids

ndbeckner1

I am looking for a good price on bulk canning lids. Mostly the regular mouth jars. Anyone got a place they order from where it is a savings over buying at the store?

I've been searching for the same thing since yesterday except I am looking for wide mouth! My sister said she gets an off-brand from Walmart for $1 a dozen. I also read online that if there was an Amish community in the area where you live, to check there. I remember when we were kids going to an Amish store by my parent's vacation trailer campground. I guess I don't know how much truth is in that suggestion.

I have NOT bought from theis company, but I did some searching online.

Here's a case of 60 boxes for $99.99... roughly $1.67 per box.

http://www.canningpantry.com/baredolicaof.html

Wide mouth, roughly $2.50 per box.

http://www.canningpantry.com/bawimodolica.html

Of course, you'll have to figure shipping costs, but sometimes of you buy enough, shipping can be less or nothing. Here's their info:

http://www.canningpantry.com/index.html

Our helpful Customer Service Agents are Available from 9 AM - 5 PM Mountain Standard Time, Monday to Friday. Call us toll free at 1-800-285-9044 or direct 1-435-245-6776. We can also be contacted online via our Canning Pantry Support Center.

That price is more than what I pay in the stores here. Normally I get the reg. mouth for about $1.25, sometimes 99 cents. The wide mouth are on sale for $1.50 a dozen during the spring and summer. I have to watch for the sales.

The way I got a bunch for less was by getting them from someone on Ebay. Turned out to be a great deal for me. This was over a year ago, though. Do a search and see if you can find someone on Ebay selling them for less.

I do know that many find them cheaper at Amish and Mennonite stores, but I don't have that option here.

Someone sent me some Clear Jel they got from the Amish, too. If you know of a friend that can buy them at the Amish stores perhaps they will get them and mail them to you. A flat rate box can weigh up to 70 lb. so that can make shipping cheaper.

I'll be checking with our local Amish store soon, but for now, that's what I could find quickly.

The snow's bad enough that we've just stayed put most of the weekend. snowindsmiley.gif

We don't have any Amish near us. So, no bulk Amish stores, darn it! We do, however, have Fred's Discount Stores. They are local to the Memphis, TN area. I get my lids from them. Regular lids are $1.00/box. And, they will order from their warehouse for you but won't discount the price anymore. I don't know about wide mouth because I use very few and have a large stash. This is also where I go if I have to buy new jars.

Locally, the only place that beats their prices on jars is Big Lots and the difference is $.25/case.

Just an idea, but if those of you who can get lids cheaply like this, perhaps you would be kind enough to buy and ship to others. For the cost of it all, of course.

I will see what they go on sale for here this spring. Too expensive right now.

I have shipped pressure canners on sale this way to folks before. Too bad postage costs so much, but at least with lids and other supplies they can be done in a flat rate box.

http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/Lids/Ball...r-Dome-Lids.htm lids for $1.34 per dozen or 60 dozen for $76.80 ($1.28 per dozen)

http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/Lids/70mm...c-Lids-Bulk.htm for bulk lids $38.28 for 348 lids ($1.32/dozen)

Make sure you check shipping cost wherever you order them from, that can greatly increase the cost of lids. Always watch for sales at the end of canning season at your local retailers also.

Always watch for sales at the end of canning season at your local retailers also.

Don't know about where you are but canning jars, lids and waterbath canners don't go on sale around here. They might put Mrs. Wages packages or some accessory kits(funnel, lidwand, etc.) but the jars and lids stay at regular price. Period.

Same as North MS, North AR stores do not put canning supplies on sale. We do get the good prices though, at the dollar stores, generally $1 box of 12 reg lids. However, after shipping costs, not sure many of you would come out ahead. Our tax is also 8%.

None of our dollar stores stock canning supplies in the fall/winter, so whatever they get early in the season is all they get.

When I went to the grocery store yesterday they had regular lids for $1.25 a box, which was better than most the prices I found online.

• 2 weeks later...

Checked at one of our local Amish stores. He sells them at $1.49 per box regular, and $1.99 per box wide mouth. I asked him about a big bulk buy price, but he said it wouldn't be even 10% off. :(

Archived