MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I've overstocked on tomato products-help!

NanaX2

I've blown it!! I've overstocked on store bought tomato sauce and diced tomatoes and they are nearing the dreaded best by date. What do you suggest I should frugally do with them? I know I could donate them, so that is one option. What about re-canning them myself or water bathing them? Or should I dehydrate them, but them I'd lose the juice of the diced ones. Would you just ignore the best by date and use them as needed from the can? I'm concerned about what I've read about the can lining being eaten up by the acid of the tomatoes and that being a health hazard. Any other ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!! :)

Most of the tomato products I've seen canned lately have a white plastic or *something* kind of liner inside, to keep the acidity from affecting the cans, or the can affecting the tomatoes. You might check to see if yours do... notice when you use some.

The dreaded date is a guideline, NOT a use-it-before-this-date-or-you'll-die. ;) It's to the canner's advantage to date them earlier so that you'll toss them and buy more.

I would use them past their date, but use them *first*, making sure to rotate the cans... new ones to the back. (I'm not afraid to use them 2 years past the date. Just be sure the cans aren't bulging, which indicates spoilage inside.)

Or you could freeze the contents after opening.

Or make spaghetti sauce and can *that*.

Or donate them.

Just re-canning, in my opinion, will destroy more nutrients and flavor. But if you're making something else with it, you're adding to the flavor.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the Best By date unless you've gone a year beyond it and even then it still may be usable. Tomatoes are not that acidic to worry about and you will be quite aware if a can has gone bad. Just put them at the front of the stack to be used up before the others.

Most safe canning recipes do not use precanned tomatoes and use them to can other foods. They will not have the same density as fresh ones. Density is an important factor when canning foods. If a tested recipe says to use fresh tomatoes, then that is what you should use.

I would keep in the cans and use them up first. That or make something and freeze it, like spaghetti sauce. You can also dry them if you want to take the time to do so.

The best if used by date refers to the product, not the seal, therefore, opening the items to make a new item to can up…you still end up using an “old” item. Food preservation is best done with fresh food.

Donating the items work if the item is still usable, and the recipient can use the item in a timely manner. Most charities will not accept food past its best when used by date. I don’t blame them, ‘cause if the product isn’t safe enough for you, why do you expect it to be safe for someone else?

I think your best option is to leave the cans as is, and use them as quickly as possible.

Archived