MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

A question for anyone that uses Hamburger Helper

DH isn't crazy about Hamburger Helper but I bought some a couple of years ago when they had a good sale. I used it all, hopefully, but the 1 box of Chili Cheese that I found in the pantry this morning. It's dated 2/09. What do you think, use it or throw it? I so badly hate to throw out food that it's making me crazy BUT I hate to add a pound of hamburger to it and then have to toss it. Any help would be appreciated.

I would use it, but I have a tendancy to do that when things look and smell okay. Last week I used some Stove Top Stuffing in a casserole that exp in mid 2009. DH and I both tasted the dried form first, and it was normal. The casserole turned out tasting just like normal.

It's all dried stuff, Dee, so it's OK. I've used some a year older than that with no loss of quality. (Found it in the back of the cupboard! :blush: )

If it isn't sealed for some reason, like a hole in the mix portion, I'd toss that part. But as long as it's sealed, it's fine.

:bighug2:

I was so in hopes you felt like I did, that it was safe. I mainly wondered about the powdered cheese mix BUT thinking about it I realized I could toss it if it smells kinky and use the rest. Guess I'll use one of my 2007 green beans too and start using up this od stuff. Hopefully I don't find much more! :happy0203:

Thanks ladies!

I picked a cabbage, onion and green pepper from the garden and made coleslaw. Then we had the outdated Hamburger Helper, 2007 green beans and French bread that had been in the freezer too long but I made garlic toast with it anyway.....why not try it too with the rest of the old food???

As DH sat eating I said, "good?" and he said, "delicious, thanks". He's a keeper! :girlneener:

Sometimes we have unusual meals because I want to use up "old" stuff I find.

I think I told this on myself once, but here goes again so you won't feel bad about 2 year old stuff. I picked up 2 cans of the LaChoy chinese stuff at a garage sale once. Not dated at all. DH likes this stuff, though I don't care for it, but at 25 cents a can I bought it. Fixed the first one, he lapped it up. Then I opened a cents off coupon that was on the can. The coupon expired 10 years earlier. He lived.

Edited to add: I am so glad others use mixes sometimes. I catch some of this stuff on good sales, and convenience is nice when needed.

Edited to add: I am so glad others use mixes sometimes. I catch some of this stuff on good sales, and convenience is nice when needed.

:D My lilDD complimented me today, telling me that the way I cook is WAY better than the convenience stuff or restaurant food. Made a Mom's heart glad. :wub: But I also use convenience foods. There are just times when dinner won't get done without it. *EVERYBODY* has "those days".

I just try to *only* buy that stuff on sale, so I can justify using it. :rolleyes:

I only buy it on sale too BUT I have to remember to use it. The Hamburger Helper was like 10 for $10 when I bought them. I thought, hey, even though DH isn't crazy about it by the time of expiration they can be used. Hmmm, wrong there wasn't I? :)

I bought some of the "Tuna Helper", but the family isn't as crazy about those. So sometimes I chop up leftover chicken or ham and use that, instead. Sometimes it's much better! ;)

Though I've noticed they have "Chicken Helper" now, anyway.

I once stashed boxes of mac & cheese in the back cabinet and forgot about them. By the time I opened the boxes they had been expired by 2 years and the cheese powder was all brown n fonky looking. I tossed the cheese sauce and we ate the noodles buttered with Parmesan cheese. We are still alive. I guess the noodles are good for a long time.

Archived