MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Is it worth it and how long does it take?

dolls2

I pressure canned my chicken according to the directions so I should expect that it is safe to eat. Last night I decided to open my first jar and use it for dinner because we were running so late. I ate a piece and for my hubby I cooked the rest in a sauce just in case.

Do you ever get over the nervousness that your meat might be bad? Thoughts kept going through my mind "is it worth it" all night. The other thought that would come to mind is "if it weren't safe it wouldn't be taught".

If I have a jar that looks a little different than any other one I have that thought go through my mind. I open it, sniff it, and if it passes, I eat it. I never think about is it worth it. I know it is. I think we are going to find out all too soon if it is worth it.

:wormie2:

John

For a long time I felt the same Dolls2, but then I finally got up enough nerve to open a jar of chicken for 'Big Burritos' and now I only have 1 jar left. I'm hoping to can some more soon, so I guess I'm 'over it!' I'm confident that in time you'll do the same too!

If you followed the current safe guidelines it is fine to eat out of the jar. As long as you had your dial gauge tested, if you use a dial gauge canner.

The meat is so tender I don't see how you could cook it and not have it just totally disintegrate. I wait until the last minute to add to whatever I am using it in and stir it in gently.

You get over the fear. I have been canning for 37 years and no problems. I teach this stuff and I promise, it is safe if you just do as you are taught. You can open the jar and eat it right out of the jar.

Even new from the box gauges need to be tested. New ones have been proven to be off by as much as 5 lbs. That is one reason why using a weighted/gauge canner is better. Why not just buy the weight set for your canner?

They can all be converted to weights easily and then you don't have to woory about whether your gauge is accurate or not. ;)

I didn't have the guage tested but my pressure canner is brand new. I understood that I didn't need to worry about having it checked until next year.

You MUST have it checked before you use it again. Wait to eat any more food you canned until it is checked. We don't know if it was processed properly at this point. So sorry to have to say this.

Dave is right, they can be off by as much as 4 lbs. out of the box.

Hey, I saw brand new Prestos on clearance today for $50 !!!!!! The 16 qt. is only $45 ! The other is for 23 qt.

I just got back from having both of my gauges (I have two pressure canners) checked and they are perfect. I was so relieved especially since I've already tasted from one jar of chicken breast. Now I just have to calm my nerves about using any of my pressure canned foods and meats. The one thing that helps is that I'm a stickler for following the directions to the letter. I guess based on that I and my family should be safe in eating anything that I can as long as they are approved for canning. I just hope that I get over this uneasiness soon. I love to do the canning but I don't want to be afraid to feed it to my family. Also, I never know when one of my grown kids will take a jar home with them without me knowing about it. It just must be safe.

I consider my home processed foods to be healthier and safer than many of the commercial products out there and just knowing I'm consuming less salt (or sugar) brings a big smile. When you know you have done everything correctly and you participated in that process, be proud and never be hesitant eating your food.

Ok,dolls, if you use the weights then it is accurate and no need to worry. I wish you would have said that from the beginning that it had weights. We still do test the All American gauges, though.

Glad all is well in Canning Land.

Enjoy that canned chicken !!

When you've done your best, and you know you've followed all the safety guidelines and kept everything safely clean, then just have confidence that you've just produced what is most likely the cleanest, safest food in America.

When you have bug parts in dried baby formula, a "safe" level of rodent hairs in processed foods, and ingredients you can't pronounce included in your food, you KNOW that things aren't as safe and clean as we hope in the huge processing plants.

Eat

Enjoy

You did well!!!! :bouquet:

:cheer:

You'll get over it,,, I had to. I grew up eating canned food and never thought anything about it. A few years ago I found this site and started canning for my family. The first batch of chicken noodle soup I canned my husband ate,, all 8 quarts. I just didn't have the gumption to join in. Until the next batch was done and he was sharing with friends.

So, i was a bit leary also,,,, but now I can't barely buy chicken noodle soup in the store, it doesn't taste good and is expensive!

i know how you feel--i have been canning for years and love making jellies and such--but anything i have done with meat in it--i end up throwing away :behindsofa: --i just can't bring myself to eat it--so i have basically given up on meats and went back to jellies--i spent a whole day making darlene's chicken soup once--ended up throwing it all away--same with the 14 jars of deer hamburger meat i did--plus the rules say stuff has to be boiled--i can't figure out what i would ever make with hamburger meat that i would boil!! :busted:

oh well--i just know not to do anything with meat in it--and i won't be running to the dumpster...

What rules say you have to boil the food ? That is old and outdated UNLESS you did not can it properly. If you can it right you just open the jars and eat it. I eat my meats directly from the jars. The chicken, for chicken salad. Tuna for tuna salad.

You do NOT need to boil the food.

Please, just do it and trust what you did. I have been doing this stuff for 37 years and teaching people for about 13 years now.

Never lost a soul yet or made anyone sick from my food.

Come on, you be brave and just do it ! You can do it !!!

I wish I had a teacher like you Violet!!! :bouquet: I thought --well--if I saw it done and knew I was doing it right I would be ok--so I went and asked my extension agent to see if she had any classes--she did--so i went--we learned how to waterbath pickles using a mix--she has never used a pressure canner but she is going to try to learn sometime in the next year so she can teach it :0327: NOT what i was wanting to hear!!!

Sorry you are so far away or you could have me show you how to pressure can. It is not hard, and if you have a weighted gauge canner, I think that is the easiest. No dial to get tested and you just can listen to the "jiggles" on the pressure canner with the weights and be at the sink or somewhere prepping food, etc.

You really can do this ! You should learn and teach HER !!

This video helped me feel more comfortable using mine for the first time. She said to exhaust the steam for 7min and I’ve been told to let it exhaust for 10 min.

Here is step-by-step pictorial that I thought was good

I do searches and look at all kinds of videos and read and look at pictorials.

I also don't have anyone to show me so I have to rely on what I can find on the internet.

she really needs teaching!!! i took in my gauge to be tested and she told me it was not possible to have a canner with a gauge and a weight--that i was confused :rolleyes:

i have watched those videos on youtube and stuff it is still just tooo scary

The first gal says to vent for 7, but it is 10 min. Then, you use 2 to 3 inches of water.

After processing you let it drop naturally in pressure, then remove the counterweight or weight and leave the lid on. Do not open yet. Let sit for an additional 10 min. Then remove the lid and the jars.

Also, the water in the canner should be 140 degrees for a raw pack, and 180 for a hot packed food.

Those were my observations that needed clarifying.

Archived