MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dehydrating commercially frozen veggies....

Midnightmom

Yes, this works very well when one is not harvesting from a huge garden. Of course the best quality to begin with will result in the best quality when you rehydrate.

That said, I use the cheap Walmart large bags. :shrug: Ya get what you can afford, but I've tasted everything first, to make sure the quality isn't so nasty that I'll never eat it.

Peas and corn rehydrate wonderfully.

Beans and carrots are really very good; just the tiniest bit mushier.

Broccolli and cauliflower will not be salad-quality. They will need to be put into casseroles, quiche, etc. I have used them in stir-fry.

Mixed vegetables are fine too. Corn-Peas-carrots. The stir-fry mixes.

-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I haven't done these from frozen but my guess is that it would be similar from dehydrating them from fresh:

Onions and mushrooms are great for casseroles, quiche,and stir-fry. Very good quality for cooked-into something.

I'm experimenting with greens like spinach, Swiss chard and collards. I expect only to use them cooked-into something.

=-=--==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-

By the way, if anyone doesn't know, you put the veggies completely still frozen onto the trays and turn it on. Takes a little longer cuz they are going to have to thaw first...but then, you know they've been blanched in their previous processing.

BE SURE to leave time to rehydrate them before you put them into something. Unless you are cooking soup, of course. Hot/boiling water seems to work best.

MtRider [...my experience.... :P ]

I've done the green bean/wax bean versions.

The other types of beans like pinto, black bean, navy beans, etc should be dried on the vine before harvest and don't need the dehydrator.......ooops!

I think I see what you mean. CAN you get those kinds of beans soaked and frozen....like the store cans of say, black beans? I've never seen frozen "dry" beans before. ????

Y'all know that the fewer steps of processing a food has, the better it holds the nutrient. So by doing this frozen-then-dehydrate method, you will lose a bit more. But dehydrating is known to retain a gooood portion of nutrient [iF you store them cool and OUT OF LIGHT] so I choose to do this to free up my freezer for meat.

MtRider :)

I've done the green bean/wax bean versions.

The other types of beans like pinto, black bean, navy beans, etc should be dried on the vine before harvest and don't need the dehydrator.......ooops!

I think I see what you mean. CAN you get those kinds of beans soaked and frozen....like the store cans of say, black beans? I've never seen frozen "dry" beans before. ????

Y'all know that the fewer steps of processing a food has, the better it holds the nutrient. So by doing this frozen-then-dehydrate method, you will lose a bit more. But dehydrating is known to retain a gooood portion of nutrient [iF you store them cool and OUT OF LIGHT] so I choose to do this to free up my freezer for meat.

MtRider :)

Well, I figured you meant green beans...but I just wanted to make sure! I've only used my dehydrator about 4 times since I bought it a few weeks ago. So I'm still really new to the whole dehydrating scene!

Thanks so much! :)

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to let you all know (in case you didn't) that frozen hash browns, both Shredded and cubed dehydrate wonderfully too!!! I also dehydrate the refrigerated potatoes too. I think they are called "Simply potatoes".

I rehydrate the hash browns with boiling water then drain any excess before frying like usual. The cube hash browns are good in soups and stews too.

Archived