MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Oh No my canner

gofish

I have a Presto canner my MIL gave me years ago. I have not used it in a long time.I need to get into canning again and went to get it out. It's missing the gauge. I have no idea what happened to the gauge... DH? kids? ET trying to phone home?

I remember that the gauge didn't work right anyway.

What is the best way to fix this?

Buy a new gauge? Is there anything I can get that will eliminate the gauge?

I can get my Grandma's 30000lb canner that is older then me but I don't know if that is in any better shape.

Agree. The only thing that will fit that particular hole in the lid is a new gauge as far as I know. You'll also need the rubber O ring that seals it in. If you can't find it at a local store there are several places online where you can order it. Shop around for the best price as some sources will be cheaper than Presto is.

If you ever find the old gauge and screw it is then you can buy the 3 piece weight set instead and convert it to a weighted canner where you just ignore the gauge. The weight set is quite a bit cheaper than the gauge but it is more accurate. Gauges, even new ones, are notorious for being inaccurate. That is why they recommend having them tested each year before use.

Yes, exactly as Dave said, you need a gauge to plug the hole.. even if you can get a broken one, that is fine. Then order Presto part 50332 and turn it into a weighted gauge canner. You use it instead of the counterweight on the canner. You will use the 5 lb. weight for fruit, if you want to pressure can fruit, and then depending upon your altitude where you live, you use either the 10 lb. weight or the 15 lb. for all other foods.

I find most people need to can at 10 lb. pressure with a weighted gauge canner. If you use the dial you use 11 lb., not 10 lb. and it must be tested. Even a brand new gauge must be tested first.

:woohoo:

Found it. It fell under the shelf way in the back where it's dark and scary.:behindsofa:

I'm going to order the weighted gauge and some seals for it than I should be good to go.I got the Ball complete book of home preserving for Christmas.

~I'm going to order the weighted gauge and some seals for it than I should be good to go.I got the Ball complete book of home preserving for Christmas.~

Just to be clear, it isn't a weighted gauge. It is a 3 piece (5-10-15) lb. weight set. It replaces the pressure regulator on the canner, not the gauge. Part # is 50332 and is available from amazon.com and several other online sources. OK?

This is a little off topic, but I have to give a kudos to Presto. My grandmother gave me her pressure canner (circa 1941 seriously). It is a national pressure canner or something like that. Anyway, it was missing the weight and I needed a new one. I did some research and found that Presto had bought the company a bazillion years ago. I ordered the parts, but couldn't remove the old gauge. Tried everything. I called Presto, and for the cost of just mailing it to them, they replaced everything and shipped it back to me. I had the county extension office check out my canner and it works great. I have used it for at least 5 years with no problem. I love the fact that I have something of my grandmothers. Back then they made things that last.

Archived